You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-12-2014 00:04:25  #1

Music Typewriters

Hi There-

Being a typewriter lover that is also a music major, I have come across things online hinting at music typewriters one made by Keaton, and some by Smith Corona. I would love to add one to my collection, but they seem as rare as hen's teeth. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Pat

25-12-2014 11:29:41  #2

Re: Music Typewriters

Over the years I've only come across two that were being sold local to me. These were proper typewriters, I think one of them was an Olympia SM9 and the other a Musicwriter, which just had a specific keyset for creating sheet music. I made an offer on each machine, but both sold - I presume - for more than I was willing to pay ($100). I think they're out there, but you just have to be diligent in your search for them because they don't come up that often, and when they do they sell fairly quick. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-4-2015 22:25:18  #3

I will stay on the lookout! 

11-5-2015 18:27:54  #4

Well, Im thinking you wont want to spend this much, but heres one for sale in mint condition.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2011/10/keaton-music-typewriter/

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

12-5-2015 07:45:00  #5

I have a feeling that the scarcity of these is due to (a) there really wasn't much of a market for them, and (b) they didn't perform all that well. It would be interesting to see a sheet of music actually printed with one of these machines. From the looks of it, the machine could only print on one size staff ruling, and alignment may have been a severe issue. By the time you got all the variables in the correct position and typed a note, you could have written ten notes or more by hand.  That's okay if you're writing the melody for "Happy Birthday To You" but might be a lifetime project if you're composing something like Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit" or Schubert's "Piano Sonata/Fantasie Number 18 in G."

I guessing that most of these that were sold were tossed out of garrett windows by frustrated composers. Starving, or not.

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

12-5-2015 08:36:00  #6

The Cabin Boy wrote:

It would be interesting to see a sheet of music actually printed with one of these machines. From the looks of it, the machine could only print on one size staff ruling, and alignment may have been a severe issue.

Apparently, at least with the Musicwriter models, the machine also typed the staff itself, so no alignment issues. And as for it being laborious, consider that you would probably use one of these typewriters to create a master of a final work, which then, because of its good quality print, could be photocopied. You wouldn't do that with a handwritten sheet of music.

Here's an Olympia SG3 that was converted by Musicwriter for such use (full article):

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-5-2015 10:22:59  #7

My comments were for the Keaton machine. After posting those I had a chance to look over the Music Printing History site. Of all the machines I do think this MusicWriter is much the best. It seems to be flexible enough to do a variety of music writing tasks with spot-on alignment. However, by the company's own admission, it couldn't do circular or arced work. It seems, from looking at the keyboard, that it could print ties between notes. The limitation was in printing slurs. No matter how great the finished product might be from the machine, the composer/musician still have to draw in all the slurs by hand. Presumably with a french curve set or a variable radius gauge.

Also, an interesting thing I noticed on the close-ups of the keyboard was that the Australian machine could print notation of two sizes. One staff size could be printed using one key struck over and over, and the other size needed the hyphen-like character struck with the platen advanced, struck again, etc. At least that's how it looks to have been done. The clefs of the smaller size were printed with a single key, and the larger clefs for the large staff spacing needed two keys.

Don't disparage hand-written music, and photocopied hand-written sheets. You'd never guess it to look at me now after four years of prep school wrestling and lacrosse, but before my voice changed I was a boy soprano in the choir of an highly liturgical Episcopal church. Most of the music from which I sang was specially transcribed and edited and so was handwritten. Especially the soaring descants. Although you are correct in saying that for "camera-ready" musical notation the MusicWriter would have been superior.

Rick

12-5-2015 10:35:09  #8

Oh, just incidentally, the company recommended the use of 70# smooth, but not glossy, paper without a backing sheet which they warned would have upset the alignment. The whole article's worth reading.

Rick

05-3-2016 05:38:33  #9

I recently purchased one of the converted SG-3 Musicwriters. It is a very interesting machine, but it is a bit laborious to create sheet music on. It is a nice conversion piece, though. It came with additional carbon ribbons, about 15 of them.

Kevin
facta non verba

13-9-2016 14:51:44  #10

I am the owner of a Keaton, you can see several pics of it at the Typewriter Database (even a sheet of music print whit the typewriter).
The design is a clever one, despite this I think it is very impractical.

Board footera