You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-12-2014 12:03:49  #1

Paint Problem: Someone tried to repaint my Royal #10

Hi, everyone,

I have a Royal #10 that I've been cleaning up, and was hoping someone here might be able to give me some advise. When I first looked at the machine, I thought the Royal name and information on the back of it had somehow worn away. I was looking at it in better light the other day and realized that the area where that information should be is much shinier than the rest of the finish and, from the right angle, it looks like someone may have put a thick coat of paint over that area. It's slightly raised, and I can see the name trying to show through. I would like to remove that added-on paint without ruining the original finish or the stenciling underneath. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of paint was used, if it was, infact, painted over. It's kind of hard to say for sure, but I'm 95% positive it's paint and not wear. It's very strange, because it's just the logo and the Royal Typewriter Co. name that have been covered, not the entire back of the machine, as one would expect if someone just decided to repaint the thing and changed their mind part way through. The rest of the logos are all right where they should be. It's a mystery to me! Has anyone come across a reason someone might want to cover up the manufacture information on the back of a typewriter? I will try to get a picture showing the offending coat of paint to post, if my camera is good enough!

29-12-2014 13:39:48  #2

Re: Paint Problem: Someone tried to repaint my Royal #10

Sounds very strange, but I suppose there might be numerous reasons why someone would paint over the manufacturer's badging. For one, maybe the machine was used in a photoshoot or a prop and the artist didn't want to advertise the brand.

As for removing the paint without disturbing the decals, I think that's going to be an impossible goal. Those decals are already very delicate and are easily destroyed just by cleaning the machine, so I shudder to think what effect removing the paint would have.

Given your description I would love to see pictures of this machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-12-2014 16:13:00  #3

Here are some photos of the back of the machine and its paint (my apologies if they don't load properly):

And here's one of the actual machine after a little cleaning.

31-12-2014 16:17:45  #4

Thanks for the response. I was hoping I would be able to clean it up and have the decalse more visible. I'm working on researching the history of the machine. I have a few newspaper writers in the side of the family this one came from, so maybe it was covered over if someone wrote a bio on one of them? Though, the front decals are untouched. I'll keep researching its history. Maybe the answer will come to light!

04-4-2015 09:11:09  #5

I'm with UWE; a photo-, film- or TV-shoot with the back of the machine facing the camera.
Neither do I fancy your chances of selectively removing the paint, but leaving the transfers in any sort of reasonable condition. 
BUT......I have seen advertised replacement decals/water transfers for some of the more popular machines.  I can't remember where (possibly EBay) - it might be worth hunting them down.

Sincerely,
beak.

06-4-2015 21:21:30  #6

My blog - Just Typewriters

Board footera