You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-1-2015 00:42:47  #1

Wax vs. Oil on a gloss coat

I've got several black gloss machines that have started to dull with age and exposure. I have read of two methods of shining up the gloss coat on these machines: rubbing with an oily rag, and car wax.

Which method is better? Is there any long-term side effects, or any side effects at all? Do they come off easily?

11-1-2015 14:39:22  #2

Re: Wax vs. Oil on a gloss coat

I use car wax, and to be honest haven't heard about the 'oily rag' method. The product is designed to clean and restore the sheen to dull paint, so it works well enough that I haven't needed to look for an alternative. It's a time consuming activity, but worth it for those special machines in the collection that you want to display.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-1-2015 16:07:17  #3

I have just tried the oily rag (I don't have any car wax yet) and it has so far worked very well on my Royal 10. Not perfect, but an improvement by far.

11-1-2015 20:12:29  #4

Personally, I use just plain old lemon oil that is used for wood and whatnot. It was available to me, and works rather well. It will get any surface shiny for awhile, however it won't stay like that for long if you use the machine often. So it's really good for just nice show machines that you don't plan on using too often.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

11-1-2015 22:19:04  #5

Yeah, seems to be the same with the oily rag. Looks like I should give car wax a shot..

11-1-2015 23:28:07  #6

The car wax shine lasts. I'm not so sure about using lemon oil on paint; it's meant to restore lost oils in wood.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera