You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-1-2015 22:02:27  #1

The one that got away...

I am being haunted by a typewriter. As said in an earlier post, I missed out on the chance to get an Olympia SM-3 at a local antiques mall. The thing was waaay overpriced, $95 for dirt everywhere, the line drawer and line alignment broken off completely, and sticky keys. As much as I want to forget about it and focus on my new Remington Noiseless, I just can't. I'm soft for Olympias and even though I already have an SM-4, I need this one. How much would one pay for it? I know it's worth less than $20, but what is the maximun I should cough up for it? I just want to save this machine from rotting in a dusty corner of a grandmother china shelf. (did I mention it's in a rare and beautiful two toned maroon and grey body style? I'm seeing those colors in my dreams now...)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

11-1-2015 22:22:28  #2

Re: The one that got away...

Ooooh, two toned? I wouldn't call it rare, but it is valuble. I'd do $40 just for that paint and because it would be an easy project to clean up- in theory. Never underestimate the difficulty of broken parts!

11-1-2015 23:38:03  #3

If the aligning scales are broken off/missing that would be a big bargaining point to help bring down the price. Personally, I don't pay a premium for the colour of a machine because repainting one to your liking isn't that big a deal, but I know colourful machines do fetch higher prices - mostly because non-collectors are drawn to them like moths to a flame. Regardless, it's worth what you think its worth, what you would feel comfortable paying and not kick yourself for later.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2015 18:29:25  #4

I'm kicking myself for not paying for it. But I suppose I'll just save up for it over time. It looks like it's been there for YEARS and I seriously doubt some non-collector would pay that much for a non-functioning machine. As much as I don't need another machine (seriously, I have no more space. The last thing I need is another typewriter) I do have a certain... say, project in mind that I need a sturdy typewriter for. And Olympias are perfect. So I suppose I'll cut costs and save up my lunch money and do the odd job to rack up $50. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera