You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-1-2015 10:48:06  #1

Smith Corona Sterling dating help

Hallo!! 

I have recently discovered the absolute joy of typewriters, and have got myself a Royal No. 10 and a Smith Corona Sterling. The former I've dated to 1931, but I'm having trouble with the latter. The serial number is H65432L, and it was made in the USA. Photo of the serial number is here (replace the xx with tt). 

hxxps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8675/15649794384_8739dcb53a.jpg

Can anyone help me date it? 

Also, as a newbie to the world of typewriters, I'm wondering if anyone can give me links to really good resources for beginners with regards to how to best clean a typewriter. The Smith Corona smells of vomit, so although it works just fine it's not exactly nice to use! The Royal is in great condition but I'd like to clean it a little before I start using it regularly. I have new ribbons coming for that soon, so am very excited about getting it back in use! 

We also have a Royal Standard Portable, we think from around 1935. A friend of mine was offering me an Olivetti Lettera 22, but I think I need to show a little restraint for now. ;)

13-1-2015 12:07:06  #2

Re: Smith Corona Sterling dating help

You're having a hard time figuring out its manufacture date because that isn't the machine's serial number. 

What you're looking at is the scale for its touch control system, graduated from H (heavy) to L (light) in 7 positions. Your machine is a 1960 model. And its actual serial number is located directly behind the touch control lever. It's hard to make out from your photo, but it looks like it's "5A-8195xx" (I can't see the final two digits).

The smell is most likely from mold. Most collectors get used to it. Some even grow to like it. However, there are plenty of cleaning tips in the TECH TALK sub-forums here, or if you perform a Google search using "typewriter cleaning" you should find dozens of blogs with varied advice.

Your Super-5 series Smith-Corona is one of the best portables ever made - in my opinion. I'm sure you're going to love using it for many years to come.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-1-2015 12:20:10  #3

Thanks Uwe! (See, I did say I was a newbie at this typewriter lark!)

Right, the serial no is 5 A 819542, which makes much more sense. I hadn't even noticed that what I thought was the serial went from 6 down to 2 in order. D'oh! 

I am already enjoying using it, though hopefully a little cleaning will deal with a bit of the smell, as it's quite overpowering when you open the case. Really can't wait to get the Royal 10 up and running though. That's a glorious machine! 

13-1-2015 17:54:50  #4

"... the smell, as it's quite overpowering when you open the case."

"when you open the case" is a clue. An easy way to begin cleaning this up is to not keep it shut up in the case, but to air it out as much as you can. In fact, if your location allows, put the case and the typewriter outside in sun and fresh air breezes. Keep them separated to maximize airflow.

Some chemical washes may work faster to clean out the smell but they're more work.

13-1-2015 17:56:54  #5

Thank you for the advice! I shall take it out of its case and put it on a desk for a while. I can't really put it outside at the moment as it's -10C and snowing, but it can certainly air out a little in the spare room! 

Board footera