You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-2-2015 21:27:53  #1

Even more Royal trouble...

For such a good typewriter company, all of my Royals have had some sort of problem with them before I could render tham 'useable'... I don't know if it's me, or the machine. Bu anyways, the Royal KMG that I have recently fixed up feels rather... stiff. Like the touch control is on high, when it's on the lowest setting. This could just be how it types, but the Royal 440 (they're practically the same machine when I did a closer inspection) doesn't feel like this. I just want to know if there is even a solution to the problem, if it's even a problem. I'd like to fix it, for I quite like how it types. You guys were right, Royal desktops are pretty darn good machines. Now I have to thank the teacher who donated the thing to me in the first place.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-2-2015 17:07:29  #2

Re: Even more Royal trouble...

From my experience, going from a mostly portable collection and starting to get a few standards can be a little hard on the fingers at first. I distinctly remember my FP (a later model Royal standard, much like your 440) having a nice easy touch but when I first got my KMM I had a rough time getting used to the touch. I now know that the KMM was completely normal, but I was not used to the touch of it. I think this is likely what you are going through, from what I have heard of your collection thus far it appears you have mostly portables. Portables have a significantly lighter touch than most standard-sized machines.

07-2-2015 10:45:38  #3

Whew... I thought something else was wrong with the Royal... But I'm glad that it's perfectly fine. I do have mostly portables, with only 2 out of 11 being standard. And both Royal. I think I just might have to use this KMG some more...

19-3-2015 19:47:40  #4

Update: Apparently using the KMG some more did help. The touch is fine, and not stiff anymore. I think it needed to be used a bit to get all of the mechanisms up and working for a bit since it probably wasn't used since 1970. Now it's one of my favourite machines. I love this KMG and I now see why everyone else does too.

Board footera