You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-3-2013 18:26:26  #1

WTB: Parts for a 1958 Smith-Corona Skyriter

I'll admit that I've always wanted a Skyriter, so when one recently came up for sale locally, I jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, the machine wasn't in the greatest shape and it needs a few parts. Bodywork actually.

If anyone is parting out a Skyriter, I could use whatever shrouding is missing around the carriage of my machine. I'm sure there should be a couple of end plates, and some sort of a paper guide at the back (where I think Skyriter is normally written).

Here's a few shots of my machine and the areas that are void of bodywork:

I also have a part that is broken in the ribbon transport mechanism which looks like this:

The part is fitted on the left side of the machine under the spool holder:

Last edited by Uwe (17-3-2013 17:25:27)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-3-2013 01:14:39  #2

Re: WTB: Parts for a 1958 Smith-Corona Skyriter

Hi Uwe

The only part you are missing is the most common part to fall off these units, and yes it's the decorative bezel with the word 'SKYRITER' that attaches to the front of the paper support with bent metal tabs. This bezel is only very thin so the tabs come unbent quite easily and the bezel falls off. What's the serial number of your Skyriter? The one I have out at the moment is 2Y-14843 which puts it as being a 1951. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

14-3-2013 10:50:44  #3

So the Skyriter of that era didn't have any painted metal shrouding to cover the ends of the carriage? I didn't even bother to check images of it online because I'm so used to seeing caps there on other machines. Well, I guess that's a bit of good news: Two less items I need for the machine.

With respect to the shroud, if you look at the photo of the back of the machine you'll see four holes along the back of the carriage. The two at the extreme ends are for the screws that hold the margin rail in place, which were also missing. I replaced one just to hold the rail and allow the carriage to work properly, but what about the bottom two holes? I assume they're to hold the missing shroud in place?

Thanks again Sky, you sure know your Skyriter. Oh and mine is #3Y-14077, which apparently makes it a '58 and the first year of the 3Y series machines. I've been calling it a '56 model based on the Typewriter Database chart; however, when I just checked the database again today it I found it's actually supposed to be a '58. Either they've been fine tuning the database or I'm losing my mind. I really hope they've been fine tuning the database. ;-) 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-3-2013 11:47:43  #4

Hi Uwe

The two square holes in the lower housing are a genetic throw back to when the Skyriter was fitted with a metal case or hard shell. The shell had two corresponding pins that locked into these holes and the spring clips latched onto the front of the housing either side of the space bar. From what I've found out so far, this is a rough genealogy of the Skyriter.

Series 1Y- The Zephyr; round keys, individual ribbon covers, short carriage, return lever and hard shell.

Series 2Y- The Skyriter, injection molded keys, one piece ribbon cover, short carriage return lever and hard shell.

Series 3Y- Same as 2Y- except for soft shell or zippered carry case which was usually tan

Series 4Y- Built in England after Smith-Corona had bought and retooled the British Typewriters factory and became SCM. Identifying features are the long carriage return lever and a firm zippered black carry case.

Series 5Y- and 6Y- were the SCM Smith-Corona Corsair, Cougar, Calypso etc. The light weight plastic bodied units with the same basic internal mechanism.

As I say, this is how I understand the progression of the Skyriter series. I'm always open to learn new facts about this model. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

14-3-2013 11:59:26  #5

That's a nice synopsis of the Skyriter, thanks for that.

However, the two holes I was referring to aren't for case mounting, they're the two highlighted by the red circles. The one in the yellow circle shows my temp fix to support the margin rail. The original and missing screw no doubt had a much smaller head that was meant to fit inside that opening which would allow access for a small screwdriver blade.

14-3-2013 18:15:32  #6

Hi Uwe

Those are the parking spots for the paper support. Notice how the arms of the paper support each have a small tang on the underside, these tangs locate into the holes circled in red. This stops the paper support arms from moving around when the unit is not in use. The hole circled in yellow is an access hole for a screw driver when removing or installing the screws that hold the margin rail and rear carriage cover in place. All the best,

Sky

04-12-2016 19:29:20  #7

Not sure of the best protocol as this question is also referring to parts for a Skyriter... if I need to start a new topic, please let me know:

I am looking to purchase a Skyriter at a local antique shop. It's a very clean looking machine and for the most part the typewriter and case are in like new condition. However, the carriage return lever, a small spring, and a broken screw are in the case pocket (along with the manual). They are asking $35 for the typewriter.

I'm new to the manual typewriter world (after learning on one about 35 years ago.) So my questions are:
1) Will this be an easy fix?
2) Are the screws to attach the lever easy to come by?
3) Does this appear to be a good deal I should take?

Thanks for any advice!

(I can send a couple pictures later if needed... the forum won't let me yet because I'm still new.)

04-12-2016 20:19:07  #8

TJH wrote:

Not sure of the best protocol as this question is also referring to parts for a Skyriter... if I need to start a new topic, please let me know:

I am looking to purchase a Skyriter at a local antique shop. It's a very clean looking machine and for the most part the typewriter and case are in like new condition. However, the carriage return lever, a small spring, and a broken screw are in the case pocket (along with the manual). They are asking $35 for the typewriter.

I'm new to the manual typewriter world (after learning on one about 35 years ago.) So my questions are:
1) Will this be an easy fix?
2) Are the screws to attach the lever easy to come by?
3) Does this appear to be a good deal I should take?

Thanks for any advice!

(I can send a couple pictures later if needed... the forum won't let me yet because I'm still new.)

Let's take these individually:  1.  This is relative to the complexity of the problem, the completeness of the parts, and the repairer's mechanical abilities; 2.  Screws should be fairly easy to come by, especially if you know where a hardware store that sells very small bolts (you'd be surprised as to what they're selling these days), or if you have a scrap pile like I got.  Plenty of parts machines, you've already got something that might work.  Also, it's great to have an old coffeecan to stuff extra nuts, bolts, and whatevers into so you can occasionally rummage around in there to find something that will work, or will work until the real thing comes along; 3.  $35 is not bad for a typewriter these days, providing you're either going to fix it up, or you're using it for spare parts for another machine.  Examine carefully this problem you've seen--look at what it might take to reattach the lever and run through your own mind to see if you can work out a plan to put it all together.  Also, look for other issues the machine might have.  Treat the purchase as though you were buying a used car, since, essentially, you are buying something that is, to say the very least of it, used.  If you've decided you want to buy the machine and still have trouble, let me know, and I'll run through my Skyriters to see exactly how the carriage lever is attached, and I can guide you through it.  Let me know something.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

04-12-2016 21:22:07  #9

Thanks. Could you post a side view picture of how the lever should attach? The lever in the case has 2 "spurs" at the bottom near where it would screw in. I couldn't quite see how it should attach at first glance and how the extra spring plays into it.

04-12-2016 21:23:53  #10

Board footera