You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-3-2015 21:38:54  #1

Early Olympias

I have always sorta wanted a pre-WWII Olympia portable, but it really wasn't until I saw one within my reach that I thougth about getting one. They look pretty cool, and how could I say no with the history behind it? But how does, say an Olympia Simplex, type? Is it like the later SM models like the SM-4? Or not as smooth and more crude feeling? 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

21-3-2015 18:03:10  #2

Re: Early Olympias

The pre-1946 Olympia models such as the Elite, Simplex and Progress are good machines, but they don't compare at all to an SM, which is more robust and feels far more solid in use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-3-2015 18:35:16  #3

Hmm... ok. I'll probably hold off then. Maybe save up for that SG1 that I so desperately want...

22-3-2015 00:06:56  #4

Still very nice looking, nonetheless. I feel like the older Olympias look more destincly German than most of the later models. 

23-3-2015 22:14:05  #5

I bought myself a Progress a little while back. Fine machine, exceptional for the time it was made in my opinion, but not as refined as an SM3 or 4. It's a little more raw feeling, almost like in the way an early Royal Portable would compare to an Arrow or Quiet De Luxe. Not neccesarily better or worse, (to me, anyways) just different.

But, they don't come by cheap in the US.. I'd save for the SG ;)

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (23-3-2015 22:22:25)

25-3-2015 15:51:52  #6

The one I wanted was near $200... I thought I could talk him down, but it seemed he knew a lot about it, so bringing down the price would be hard with someone who knows what they're talking about. Oh well. Perhaps I'll find an SG1 soon...

28-3-2015 16:26:55  #7

Hi guys, please allow me to go off-topic a little bit here, but you all seem well experienced with the pre-war Olympias. I was wondering today: What is the material the plastic key tops are made of? After all, they were already common in the 1930s, I have them on a 36 Filia, 42 Progress and 45 - Optima branded - Elite, and there wasn't that much of plastic around then.

28-3-2015 18:15:04  #8

The pre-war machine that I have uses plastic keys, but some of those produced during the war, and especially just after the war, had bakelite keys, bail rollers, and control knobs. Some even used bakelite for some of the impotant components such as the segment.

Here's my postwar Plana with bakelite keys:

And bakelite on my Optima Elite:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-3-2015 09:18:23  #9

Wow, the red bakelite key tops really look nice.  Do you think the material of these black keys here is bakelite, too?

I was wondering, what kind of plastic that might be, as I guess there was not such a big variety around as is today.

29-3-2015 09:57:18  #10

I think I found the original Olympia patent for the 1930s moulded key tops. They should be Acetyl Cellulose aka Celluose Acetate.
Se [url]https://www.google.com/patents/US2120553,[/url] there is also a facsimile PDF.
Beware, seems they are vulnerable to Acetone. Have a nice Sunday!

Board footera