You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-3-2015 12:25:07  #1

typedrawing blog

I have started a blog featuring my journey into typewriter sketching and drawing with a few random typewriter gubbins posts thrown in here and there: https://typetheclouds.wordpress.com

23-3-2015 12:36:34  #2

Re: typedrawing blog

Great stuff!  I'm very impressed with your artwork.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-3-2015 14:30:05  #3

Thanks very much! I am starting to look at typefaces in a completely different way now. And it's interesting going though my collection finding out which typewriters work best for sketching. A combination of carriage release and platen knob size, plus variable spacing all in the right places for my small hands!

31-3-2015 14:55:33  #4

I hope you post your list for which machine make the best drawing tools! I'm also curious as to whether it's better to use a larger (pica) or smaller (elite) typeface for such work.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-4-2015 16:54:12  #5

At the moment, my favourites are the Remington portable 2  and the remington de luxe model 5.
A very close second favourite is the lettera 22 because it has a very easy carriage release on both sides, and a variable line spacer that stays put.
The skyriter has some good function features, but fiddly platen knob size and plastic  texture is not nice. I am considering recovering them with sugru - gasp! - to increase the size and comfort.
Pica or elite hmm, I use pica a lot, and can get quite small details in.
Having more than one or two to practice on is definitely a plus! The subtlties of design defiinitely come out when you try to make the typewriter dance on its hind legs.

09-12-2015 21:44:50  #6

Beautiful work! That shiny happy people die looks really cool.

10-12-2015 16:08:34  #7

Thank you

06-4-2016 07:35:09  #8

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I simply had to comment. Your work is beautiful! I had no idea this was possible with a typewriter, although I suppose it's the same principle as the ascii art of ye olde dot matrix days.

Out of curiosity, how large are the originals? I noticed some of the type looks quite small, but I can't imagine it would be easy to artistically handle a larger sheet of paper in a typewriter. Many typewriters won't take anything larger than portrait A4 anyway.

Board footera