You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-4-2015 14:37:17  #1

A question about the ethics of repainting a machine

Where I go to college there are a few antique shops, one of which has an ancient Royal portable that is in a seriously distressed condition. Large rust patches on the covers, and everything inside rusty and filled with dirt. Not just rusty either, but that "furry" kind of rust. I thought at first glance that it had been in a house fire, but now I think it may have been in a flood. I was thinking of buying it and playing around with it since it's priced as a "make me a reasonable offer," and the shop owner is a fairly reasonable guy.

But would it be "ethical" to refinish the machine to the point of completely sanding down the old surfaces and then repainting them? The original color was black, but if I refinished it I would repaint it either a dark blue, dark green or a really deep crimson/maroon, and I would get some replacement decals. So, within our select group of the Typosphere what are the opinions? Okay to repaint if the original color is used? Okay to change the color as long as I never misrepresent it as a factory color? Better to just clean it up and not repaint it at all?

I think the machine is a Model P, but I'm really new to the Typosphere and can't be sure. I know where the serial number should be, at least I think I do, but didn't have anything to wipe off the crud. I do know it is not a Model O. 

Last edited by The Cabin Boy (08-4-2015 14:38:37)

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

08-4-2015 16:38:16  #2

Re: A question about the ethics of repainting a machine

Personally, I think it's quite Ok to repaint a typewriter - I know a lot of people do, and there are some wonderful makeovers out there. I haven't done it myself, I just don't have the space the spraying and for a lot of bits to dry out.

08-4-2015 17:38:54  #3

My .02: Given the condition you described it sure doesn't sound like a museum quality example, or a particularly rare machine either. I think you should paint it to your hearts content. True, it won't be original. But how original is rust anyway?

08-4-2015 19:21:30  #4

It's all down to opinion, really- some of us (myself included) prefer to have typewriter's life story told in the condition of the body, the history of the machine is in the paint work so to speak. Most others have no problems with repainting and will do it any way they please. Just go with you want to do, whether that be black gloss or neon pink!

08-4-2015 19:30:15  #5

I say go for it. I repainted a 60's Royal 200 from dated tan to black because it needed a new coat. The way you describe the machin paints a picture of abuse and neglect, so why not show it some love and care by making it all nice and shiny? And I think the deep blue would look spectacular on that kind of machine. But before you paint it again, would you mind posting a picture of it in its current condition?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

08-4-2015 20:00:59  #6

I'd say go ahead; the original finish has gone anyway, by the sound of it.  I would feel differently if the original finish were in good condition.
As far as I can see, you are saving a machine from rotting away in neglect.

Of course, it's not an easy or quick process; achieving a good finish depends largely on surface preperation.  So I would take your time over it and do some research about paints and restoration, if you have never done anythng like this before.  All the effort is likely to be worth it though.
Keep us posted!

Last edited by beak (08-4-2015 20:04:28)

Sincerely,
beak.

08-4-2015 22:09:39  #7

I think it depends on the machine in question. If it was a truly rare model, then nothing short of a professional restoration to bring it back to its original appearance should be the goal. However, most machines aren't rare - even if that word is tossed around a lot - so in such situations you should be able to do what you want with it without suffering any guilt. We don't know which model you're talking about, but I'm willing to bet that it's something fairly common; post a picture or two of it if you want to know. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-4-2015 05:32:03  #8

being new to this, this was an interesting thread to read.  I would like to paint a typewriter one of these days, but all the ones I've aquired so far have decent paint jobs, so it would seem a shame to paint them. OTOH, i don't think I'd have any qualms about painting a clunker.  I think people have visions of something like, you go on the Antiques Roadshow, and they tell you, "Well, this typewriter would have been worth $150,000, buuuuut that's if it had the original paint.  Now, it's worth $5-10.  Thanks for coming in!"  In reality, most of the typewriters we come across were fairly common and there are many still floating around in basements, attics, and estate sales, slowly rusting away and rubber parts falling apart.  For most of the stuff we tend to come across, I don't think painting will spoil any of our future descendants days on Antique Roadshow.

09-4-2015 11:43:44  #9

Thanks for everyone's insights. Alot is going to depend on my roommate's attitude about my turning my half of our dorm room into a typewriteratorium. He already thinks I'm a bit of a loon for having over twenty brands of mechanical pencils and fifteen or so wooden pencils in use. But hey, we civil engineering guys go through alot of graphite. He is very fastidious and tidy, and that's a good thing when you share a dorm room with another guy, and solvents and bits and pieces of derelict machines strewn around might...ah...strain our relationship. He's really a great guy, and we're planning on rooming together for the fall, but he's an English major, and not mechanical at all. I'll keep you guys posted!

Thanks again,
Rick

Rick

09-4-2015 11:58:00  #10

If I wanted to dip-derust  the little Royal, how do you get the key tops off so they don't get ruined?

Rick

Board footera