You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-4-2015 12:03:23  #1

Imperial 'The Good Companion' No. 1 - Repair and Maintenance

Hello guys!
I just purchased this typewriter from ebay a while ago.
All the keys are fine, just a little stiff. But there is one part missing (the top bit of the ribbon spool) and one part broken.
Is it likely to get these parts fixed? I am a bit worried. 
Also, is the rust on the keys removable?
This is the first typewriter I've ever purchased so I have very limited knowledge of it.
I hope to get some advice here... thank you.

Last edited by d.culloden95 (09-4-2015 12:13:25)

09-4-2015 14:04:27  #2

Re: Imperial 'The Good Companion' No. 1 - Repair and Maintenance

Very pretty.  I hope you can get it working.  I tried a quick search for the spool nut, and didn't come up with anything.  I did find a guy's website, called 'The Typewriter Man' and he has reproduction spool nuts for Olivetti typewriters.  You might try contacting him and see if he has any spares for an imperial.  This is his website: http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/contact.html  He's in... Uh... Some place in England about an hour from London I think (that's what Google said, at least).

Otherwise, you might be able to match up the threading with a screw and nut you can find at a hardware store?  Hopefully someone with experience with these machines can give you more advice on that.

What is the broken part?  I can't tell from the pictures. I can't see much rust on the keys. Maybe it just doesn't show up in the picture.  I like how the paper under the keys is nice and white.

09-4-2015 17:57:18  #3

Spazmelda wrote:

I did find a guy's website, called 'The Typewriter Man' and he has reproduction spool nuts for Olivetti typewriters. You might try contacting him and see if he has any spares for an imperial. This is his website: http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/contact.html He's in... Uh... Some place in England about an hour from London I think (that's what Google said, at least).

He's a fairly well known member here, not to mention that a few other TT members have already done business with him...

thetypewriterman

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-4-2015 07:54:01  #4

Hello there, I have both parts if you wish me to send them on please submit your address and I will oblige. My e-mail is barry.fielden@ntlworld.com. There will be no charge, just happy to help

Kind regards....Barry

Board footera