You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2015 11:58:24  #1

Oliver No. 9: Sticky Ribbon Vibrator & Carriage Advancement Problem

Extreme novice typer here, working on second typewriter repair.

I recently bought an 1921 Oliver No. 9 from eBay. It was damaged during shipment and probably landed on its right tower as the tower was shorter and a bit bent. The machine also had a broken mainspring (now repaired) and a missing draw cord (now re-attached). The escapement mechanism was completely rusted/corroded and frozen. That is now moving.

The remaining problem is that the carriage does not advance while typing or using the space bar. Striking the space bar and keys produces a "stuck" sound and sensation.

However, if the ribbon vibrator is manually moved back and forth while typing, the carriage will advance. See video below.  There is an audible click as I manually move the ribbon vibrator back towards the front of the machine or when I push up on the universal bar from under the machine.

Here is a YouTube video I made documenting the problem:

Here is a second video showing the underside of the machine:

I am wondering what the source of the sticking click might be.  I have cleaned the ribbon vibrator and escapement thoroughly with denatured alcohol and PB Blaster and Evapo-Rust. The gears and starwheel seem to be spinning cleanly. Where should I look for dirt and / or mechanical obstruction?

Of note: a connector of some sort from the Tab lever is missing under the machine. While I don't think it's related to my sticking ribbon vibrator problem, it may be relevant.

25-4-2015 18:07:56  #2

Re: Oliver No. 9: Sticky Ribbon Vibrator & Carriage Advancement Problem

Well, if moving the ribbon vibrator moves the carrige, but a key does not, it seems that there is something between the keys and the vibrator to prevent it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-4-2015 20:39:05  #3

Re: Oliver No. 9: Sticky Ribbon Vibrator & Carriage Advancement Problem

I should have made an update to my initial post from a couple weeks ago. I found that making subtle adjustments to various areas under the machine, coupled with continued cleaning and lubrication with PB Blaster has pretty much resolved my problems.  My carriage is now advancing!

About a week ago, a sharp-eyed commenter on my blog noted that my "Space Lever Nut" (Area #6) appeared loose. I tightened it and my carriage began to advance with hitting the space bar.

The photos you posted today helped me put the other pieces of the puzzle together.  I compared your functional machine with my machine and made very subtle adjustments to Areas #1, #2, #6, #7. I now have carriage advancement when I hit my regular keys.  Hurray!

I need to continue making small adjustments since  the touch isn't quite right. I still have to strike the keys very hard to trip the escapement.  I was recently reading about an Oliver 2 that Gary Both restored.  He has a very informative page about calibration after reassembly:
http://catch55.home.xs4all.nl/projects/oliver2/calibration.htm

Board footera