You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-4-2013 06:08:34  #1

What Are You Listening To?

Every forum should have one of these. So, what music are you listening to? 

For some evening easy listening, I'm settling down to the beautiful Weimar-era jazz of der Oskar Joost Tanzorchester, playing "Heute Nacht oder Nie". (Trans.: The Oskar Joost Dance Orchestra - "Tonight, or Never"). 

*Track Change*

The Comedian Harmonists - "Night and Day"

*Ending With...*

The Jesse Stafford Orchestra - "I'm Sailing on a Sunbeam", from 1929.

Yes, I have an unashamed obsession with prewar jazz. 

Last edited by Shangas (07-4-2013 06:09:41)

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

07-4-2013 08:19:47  #2

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Currently I'm listening to a great deal of Eighties soft rock, sadly. 

I'm using my Mac to digitize my wife's vast (and seemingly unending) collection of mix-tapes.

07-4-2013 08:40:15  #3

Nodding off to sleep, with Benny Carter and His Orchestra - "These Foolish Things", from 1936...

*Yawwwwwn* 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

29-4-2013 06:25:22  #4

Rediscovering Tristan (Wagner) after hearing the prelude again in that wonerfully tight film Melancholia.

Tchaikovsky's F minor - great old recording by Maazel.

Handel - boxed set of the complete chamber music.

Beethoven 'Harp' and 'Razumovsky' quartets.  And the Waldstein sonata.

Satie - quirky piano pieces.

Can't abide jazz or rock - sound like an irritating mess to me (i.e. a personal opinion, not judgement) - but then it wouldn't do for us all to be the same, would it!

Last edited by beak (29-4-2013 06:26:25)

Sincerely,
beak.

29-4-2013 07:53:42  #5

I was listening to some classical/theatrical orchestral pieces earlier. Now unwinding with some vintage jazz. 

"Manhattan Serenade a'la Mouse" right now. Eh, that's 'Manhattan Serenade' as it was peformed in the cartoon 'Mouse in Manhattan'. 

06-7-2013 09:48:27  #6

My musical taste doesn't really fit here but I have to make another post to be able to include a picture link so. Forgive my barbarousness.

I'm currently listening to Sirenia's The Enigma of Life -album. Sirenia is a Norwegian metal band, the amount of growling varies between albums as well as does the number of instruments, which vary from only typical metal band instruments to occasional loans from more orchestral arsenal (which on the other hand is actually quite common among similiar bands).

08-12-2013 10:15:18  #7

The new "Foreverly" album by Norah Jones and Billy Joe (of Green Day) is worth the time.

26-5-2014 22:57:13  #8

The Moody Blues - Legend of a Mind

Psychedelic rock has arrived in this thread.

28-7-2014 17:33:56  #9

I"m currently listening to Pyramids of Space by Pyramids of Space, track 14, The Experiment.
Spacey Electronic with a bit of funkiness thrown in there as well.

29-7-2014 13:56:16  #10

I'm listening to one of the CBC classical music streaming channels. At the moment it's Rachmaninov.

Board footera