You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-5-2015 01:32:45  #1

Underwood Portable Line Space Roller

Hello,

Does anybody have an Underwood Portable parts machine? I have a 1924 Underwood Standard 3-Bank Portable with a broken line space roller. It's a fairly small piece, with a tiny roller on a small metal arm that attaches to the frame with two screws. It is located under the platen on the left-hand side. It's relative easy to get to. Here are a couple of pictures of the part in question.

Photo 1
Photo 2

If you do have one you're willing to part with, please let me know. I'm happy to pay for the part + postage.

Thank you!

Last edited by Uwe (15-5-2015 07:31:37)

15-5-2015 07:34:44  #2

Re: Underwood Portable Line Space Roller

Do you have a metal shop in your area? I can't tell what the part is made of from the photo, but I'll bet that an experienced welder should be able to repair it in a few minutes.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-5-2015 09:49:26  #3

I dont have the part, but have you tryed ebay?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

17-5-2015 17:45:34  #4

It is made of metal of some sort. I've had two people say they thought it was "spring steel".

I hadn't thought of having the part repaired. I do have both pieces of it. I wonder if it would be strong enough after a repair? It seems kind of small for welding, but that shows you how much I know about welding -- zero. I'm sure there is a metal shop in my area. I'll ask around.

Last edited by veggieguy (17-5-2015 17:46:47)

17-5-2015 19:47:16  #5

I don't think you'll get satisfaction at a metal shop, mostly because of the small size and the specialty metal, which likely is spring steel. Instead, go to a jeweler. They have the experience you need and if one declines, try others. Good Luck---it's a nice typewriter.

19-5-2015 01:40:40  #6

You are right about the metal shop. They were willing to give it a shot, but they said it was a 50/50 chance of success. Either it would work or it would burn up. They did not seem confident.

Thanks for the suggestion about jewelers. I'll give that a try.

Board footera