You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-5-2015 14:37:26  #1

Underwood No. 5 Letter Keys

I want to replace the current letter keys on my Underwood No. 5, that at present are solid black,
with the proper period letter key set.

Do I need to purchase the round letter keys already on their link bar or can I just
purchase the round letter keys that have three (3) tabs underneath them and
change them out with the black keys tops?

Last edited by Rilhardr (24-5-2015 15:13:09)

~ Repairing my Underwood Standard No. 5E ~
                   and learning as I go!

24-5-2015 17:50:24  #2

Re: Underwood No. 5 Letter Keys

The black keys on your machine are themselves replacements (the original keys would have matched the four white ones on the right side of the keyboard). You don't need to replace the key bars, just the actual keys, but the bigger problem will be finding replacement keys that will fit your machine. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-5-2015 05:34:34  #3

Great help ~ THANKS! ~

Last edited by Rilhardr (25-5-2015 05:34:57)

and learning as I go!

25-5-2015 05:49:58  #4

Those king of look like caps that teachers would put on so people could learn to touch type.

Are you sure they do not come off? Maybe they fell off the other keys.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-5-2015 05:51:26  #5

Also, did someone spray paint your typewriter or something? It might have been in a film if it was, because they would hide the labels so they dont advertise the company.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-5-2015 06:53:58  #6

I purchased the typewriter for $10.00 and have been cleaning it up for weeks now.

I do WWII Living History and wanted a working period typewriter for my clerk impression.

Also ordered a replacement ribbon on eBay and replacement decals from:  http://catch55.home.xs4all.nl/

Last edited by Rilhardr (25-5-2015 06:54:43)

and learning as I go!

25-5-2015 11:09:20  #7

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Those king of look like caps that teachers would put on so people could learn to touch type..

That is a possibility. Unfortunately, the image I'm looking at on my tiny screen doesn't show enough detail (they look like regualar black plastic keys). If they are key covers then they should be easy to remove, and with any luck the original keys under them will be in better shape than the uncovered keys are in. And if they do turn out to be key covers, it's more likely those four white keys were never covereds as opposed to the covers having fallen off of them as they're special character keys, and as such are not a part of a standardized keyboard layout for touch typing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-5-2015 11:41:00  #8

I'll check to see if they are key covers and that would be great if they were!

Posted larger photo in another sub board as I am woundering if my Underwood
is a No. 4 or a No.5?

Last edited by Rilhardr (25-5-2015 11:41:29)

and learning as I go!

25-5-2015 11:48:38  #9

Just took off one of the black key covers and the letter "J" is alive and well underneath!   My Lucky Day! 

And Here they are:

Last edited by Rilhardr (25-5-2015 12:21:59)

and learning as I go!

25-5-2015 11:55:19  #10

Hey, that's great news!

Detailed photos can often make a world of difference. Unfortunately, I initially led you down the wrong path based on what I thought I was looking at. I'll try to remember not to do that in the future and ask for a better photo if there's any doubt.

Board footera