You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-5-2015 15:25:04  #1

1937 Remington Portable Model 5 T-SS

Hi there,

New guy on this forum. Forgive me if my English is not correct or if i'm not using the correct technical terms in this post.

A couple of months ago I started to fall in love with post-war Remington Portables. I think i can now call myself a collector of these machines since i now own 11 and am constantly searching for models i don't own yet. Last weekend i stumbeld across a very good looking Remington Portable Model 5 T-SS and of course ended up buying it. All seemed to work except for a broken typebar gear. I have a 1935 Portable Model 5 which i used before for parts for an other Model 5, so the gear was no problem for me to fix.

Now, once i had fixed this, and was cleaning the machine i noticed that the carriage gets stuck behind the tab brake (don't know if this is the correct English term for this part). Only when i remove the little tab stops from the back of the machine the carriage moves as it should. I've been loosening and tightening some little screws but i can't find a way to fix this problem, other than keep the tab stops off.

Is there anyone around here who can help me on this one?

Last edited by Nickherman (26-5-2015 15:40:28)

26-5-2015 18:03:12  #2

Re: 1937 Remington Portable Model 5 T-SS

Have any pictures? Also, the typebar gear sounds like your talking about the escapment gear, and the tab brake is a margin. For the tab stop part, ahve you tried moving them all the way to the sides? Also, what do you mean the gear is not working? Does the mainspring (The big metal drum located towards the back of your typewriter) have any tension if you try pushing/rolling it?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

26-5-2015 18:43:46  #3

The mainspring is fine. The escapment gear is the part that makes the typebars move when you pres a key? If it is, that's wat i mean with 'typebar gear'. I did replaced the broken one and it is working fine now.

Well, for the margin, there is one on the bottom side at the back which can be raised with the margin release lever on the keyboard. This is not the problem.

I will post some pictures so you can see what i'm trying to explane. 

26-5-2015 18:45:46  #4

The typewriter:

The back:

Close up without the little "tab stop" thing:

Close up with the little "tab stop" thing hitting the metal margin stop which is the problem of the carriage stopping while typing:

Hope this will help.

(EDIT: Instructions for posting photos can be found in the FAQ thread. Thanks, Uwe)

Last edited by Uwe (27-5-2015 07:38:03)

27-5-2015 05:01:38  #5

The metal tab in the middle of the riged rail? Thats exactly what you said it was (I think), a tab stop. I really dont know why the carriage isnt moving past it though. Maybe someone else willl know.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-5-2015 07:55:54  #6

Nickherman wrote:

that the carriage gets stuck behind the tab brake (don't know if this is the correct English term for this part). Only when i remove the little tab stops from the back of the machine the carriage moves as it should. I've been loosening and tightening some little screws but i can't find a way to fix this problem, other than keep the tab stops off.

Your terminology is very clear.

What's happening is that your tab brake is not resetting to its normal position. When you press on the tab key that brake should raise (to stop the carriage at the tab stop) and then lower again when you let go of the key. In your case the tab brake is not lowering on its own, which is why the carriage will stop at every tab stop while typing. Can you manually push the tab brake down with your finger to reset it (be gentle)? Try checking all of the linkages and spring(s) that the TAB key actuates when pressed. You should be able to find what is preventing it from lowering automatically. And if that isn't the case, then something within that mechanism is not correctly in place.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera