You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-6-2015 12:26:24  #1

Shift key problems/capitals locked Underwood No 3/5

Hello all,

I was hoping you clever chaps might have some advice for me. My girl recently purchased an Underwood No 3/5 (not sure which it is, no identifier apart from a serial number of 810269-12 and a patent list printed on the reverse going up to 1926) for my birthday. The machine is in fine working order and in great condition, and I really could not be happier with it (she also bought some original 1940's banded Lucky Star typewriting paper - I'm a lucky fellow!).

However there is one small problem: it will only type using capitals. I’ve also noticed that I cannot use the shift keys to use different symbols. The shift keys do however depress when pushed, so they do not appear to be locked or stiff. I can see no visible rust or deterioration inside the machine, or missing parts that might have caused this. She did inform me that the seller she bought it from admitted that it was in fine working order until his children had a bash on it and then suddenly it would only type in capitals – no doubt one of the little darlings smashed my poor typer up a bit and have caused harm.

Now I don't know much about typewriter repairs, but having played with it all day I just can't see what the problem could be. Any information regarding this baffling predicament would be most appreciated!

Yes, yes.

Hauser 

Last edited by Uwe (07-6-2015 14:39:22)

07-6-2015 14:38:41  #2

Re: Shift key problems/capitals locked Underwood No 3/5

To confirm that I understand the problem, and to simplify, your machine at the moment will only type in uppercase. Correct? And when you try to use the shift key it  does nothing. Also correct?

The shift key raises the carriage, and it sounds like the carriage is currently stuck in the raised position. For a start, I would make sure the shift keys are not pushed down, and then I would try applying gentle force on the carriage to see if it can be pushed back down to its normal position.

Incidentally, photos can only be posted after your 3rd post here (it's an anti-spam measure). Instructions for posting photos can be found in the FAQ thread. And photos would help here. Not only would it confirm the current position of your carriage, but it would allow me to positively ID your typewriter's model number. (I deleted the link in your first post as it is not a correct one for a photo).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-6-2015 15:10:20  #3

Hello Uwe,

Thank you for your reply. I apologise in regards to the picture, my mistake. As you recommended I applied some gentle pressure to the carriage, but have had no positive results from trying. 

I have taken several photos that hopefully might help. I have read the FAQ regarding posting photos, which I will follow. That is unless I can post a link to a specific Pinterest board which I have uploaded them to. If that is not allowed I will of course post the photos as per the FAQ.

Many thanks, yes yes,

H

07-6-2015 18:39:38  #4

Ok, so if the shift key(s) are depressed (In normalpostition), do they type in lowrcase?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

07-6-2015 19:01:21  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Ok, so if the shift key(s) are depressed (In normalpostition), do they type in lowrcase?

I don't understand your question because it contradicts itself. "Depressed" means pushed down, the opposite of repose (a shift key's normal position). Other than that, the OP already stated that he can't get the machine to type in lowercase and that using the shift key, which does move, doesn't change that fact.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-6-2015 19:16:59  #6

Hauser- I don't think its against the rules to link to a Pinterest board.  Should be okay.

07-6-2015 21:29:03  #7

Uwe wrote:

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I don't understand your question because it contradicts itself. "Depressed" means pushed down, the opposite of repose (a shift key's normal position). Other than that, the OP already stated that he can't get the machine to type in lowercase and that using the shift key, which does move, doesn't change that fact.

I had the same difficulty in understanding that sentence, but in any case, perhaps the typewriter is what is known as a mill, which has upper case characters in both upper- and lower-case positions. Just a thought.

08-6-2015 11:47:53  #8

M. Höhne wrote:

perhaps the typewriter is what is known as a mill, which has upper case characters in both upper- and lower-case positions. Just a thought.

It's a good idea, but he did mention not being able to type "different symbols", which I assumed meant that some of the keys on his Underwood have two different characters on them. This is one of those cases where a few detailed photos would go far in providing an answer to his question. 

08-6-2015 14:50:03  #9

Sorry, I was in a rush. I just reread it. Sounds like the arms that push the carriage up, or what the carriage is resting on may be bent so that they stay up. Have you tried pushing down on the carriage? (Gently)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-6-2015 16:42:10  #10

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Have you tried pushing down on the carriage? (Gently)

Already suggested in post #2 and answered in post #3.

Board footera