You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-6-2015 19:02:18  #1

Nice Little Shorthand Copy Stand

Hi everyone,

Had a very good and unexpected week on the E-bay.  One purchase was this little copy stand and I'd like to know more about it.

The badge on the front reads, "American Electric Company / Chicago / Made in USA.  A decal reads "Burns Made in USA."

On the back of the base in a .5" hole and inside the base in a 1/16" opening with a set screw.  With a name like American Electric, wondering if attached to some kind of mechanical device or just a place to mount it.

Kind of an interesting background to it (for me at least.)  Seller had thought it was a music stand until someone told her it was a typists copy stand.

My dear 83 year old mother saw it and said, "I remember those.  You put your shorthand book on it."

She didn't recall hers behind mounted to anything though.

Any information appreciated.

--Brian

08-6-2015 19:43:53  #2

Re: Nice Little Shorthand Copy Stand

It was not attached to anything from what I can tell. From the look of the sticker, I am going to say its from the 20s-40s. Id say it looks a little earlier, but I dont think they had many electrical things that type. If you dont mind me asking, how much was it?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

09-6-2015 10:47:44  #3

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I am going to say its from the 20s-40s. Id say it looks a little earlier, but I dont think they had many electrical things that type.

The first electric typewriter was produced in 1902. Remington was making electric typewriters in the '20s. And IBM launched its first electric machine in 1932. 

Nice find. Nice accessory. It could be the stand was produced by the same American Electric Co. that manufactured telephones, and was distributed/sold by Burns. Looks to be a standard copy holder, and I assume the base is cast metal? The hole in its side most likely had to do with its use as some other product. Can the base be removed from the stand? If so I think that the base was used for other products made by the same company. What's it worth? $40-$50 on the high end? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-6-2015 19:13:25  #4

Thanks for replies

30's - 40's probably about right.  Guessing could be older from cast iron base, threaded brass insert for post (easier to machine brass than iron) brass screws, and no 'phillips' head screws.  (Not invented until 1935 if memory serves correct.)  Haven't found anything about Burns or American Electric of Chicago yet.  Shame no pat. no's.

Anyway, a fun item that got my dear ol' Mom & entire family into the act-- even 'aloof' teen-age daughter was interested.  At 83, dear sainted mother has health issues, but took a seat at typewriter & immediately moved stand to her left.  Informed me the spiral tablet holder (on top) was loose.  "You need to tighten it."  Moved what I'd thought was a page holder (at the bottom) up to first line of a  typed page.  Then she gave us a demonstration & even tried a bit of shorthand although she admitted-- a little rusty on that. 

To answer question, item was a tough deal.  Seller wouldn't budge much.  Think it cost me 50 + shipping. Probably paid too much for it, but didn't know ol' Mom knew shorthand and priceless to see her take an interest in things and have a go at typing and shorthand!

Photo shows it having been straighted, cleaned up, and a shorthand sample, thanking someone for prompt delivery of missed newspaper.  Or squiggles to that effect.  I shamelessly traced what Mom had jotted from memory.   : )   

Brian

Last edited by BrianE (09-6-2015 19:32:47)

15-6-2015 19:43:18  #5

Good call by both of you.  Think I have it narrowed down to "circa early 20's", but only two ads isn't much of a date range.

16-6-2015 04:59:25  #6

I find it funny how they say "Prevent errors" when thirs the word "w rking".

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

16-6-2015 12:18:22  #7

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Oh the irony of that comment...  

The space for the letter 'o' is there, so it was most likely an issue with the typesetting, which was done by hand back then, and not by the author of the ad who undoubtedly was using a copy holder and presented the printer with error-free text.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-6-2015 17:38:22  #8

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I see Grandmother does Gregg shorthand. I was taught Pitman's which is a bit different. Shorthand is like touch typing or riding a bicycle, you never forget how to do it.

16-6-2015 17:45:27  #9

BrianE wrote:

item was a tough deal.  Seller wouldn't budge much.  Think it cost me 50 + shipping. Probably paid too much for it, 

Now that we know what it cost new ($3), and after adjusting for inflation ($39), it would seem that you paid more than it's new value. 

16-6-2015 19:21:37  #10

retro wrote:

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I see Grandmother does Gregg shorthand. I was taught Pitman's which is a bit different. Shorthand is like touch typing or riding a bicycle, you never forget how to do it.

Can you read it?  Be interesting to see if it's how she remembers a practice drill or something.  Supposed to be thanking someone for prompt delivery of a back issue of a magazine or something.

Looks Greek to me!

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Yes, I saw that & was tempted to insert missing letter via photoshop, but that's messing with history. 

Poor typesetter is still catching grief for his mistake 94 years later.  ; )

Uwe wrote:

BrianE wrote:

item was a tough deal.  Seller wouldn't budge much.  Think it cost me 50 + shipping. Probably paid too much for it,

Now that we know what it cost new ($3), and after adjusting for inflation ($39), it would seem that you paid more than it's new value.

Yes, I'm used to that by now.  Next week someone will probably snipe one for 99 cents... Such is life!

Brian 

Board footera