You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-7-2013 12:14:41  #1

Help with identification

I bought this typewriter today but I'm unable to find any information about it. I'd be interested in hearing about similiar (even just similiar looking machines to get some manufacturing date) machines.

The plate on top of the cover says Helvetia, there's letter B on the carriage and on back of the machine a plate says "Manufacturers of typewriters - Aug. birchmeier's sons, Switzerland" Did I stumble upon a random generic typewriter that was produced for a retailer?

24-7-2013 12:51:16  #2

Re: Help with identification

WOW!

Nice find. Want to sell it???

I'm not sure if Helvetia was a department store in Switzerland at the time, but it would make sense given its abbrieviation of Confœderatio Helvetica (Swiss Confederation).

Without researching it, I think it's a rebranded Patria typewriter that was most likely manufactured in the late '40s. Most exciting about this particular machine is that I believe it was designed by the famous architect Max Bill for Patria. 

Oh, and to connect everything to the nameplate on the back, August Birchmeier & Sons, a typewriter manufacturer in Switzerland, began making machines for Patria, I think some time in the early '40s.

If you Google all of this stuff it should send you down the right road to find more conscise information.

If possible, could you provide more details? How much did you pay? Where did you find it? What condition is it in? What's it like as a typer? And please - MORE photos!

EDIT: I was bothered by the mysterious 'B' on the carriage and quickly looked it up. The 'B', which should be within four flower petals, is the brand mark for Birchmeier (makes sense). I also just noticed there's a nameplate of some kind on the typewriter case in your photo, but I can't make out what it says. Can you tell me what is written there?

Last edited by Uwe (24-7-2013 13:03:47)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-7-2013 14:32:20  #3

Neat! And there I was worried that I found something relatively uninteresting. Thank you very much for all the info. In return, more photos! They're a bit too large to attach directly to the post so here's a link to the directory: http://tathe.org/helvetia/ I included a picture of the cover nameplate for you.

I found it from a flea market, I paid nine euros (12 USD) for it, it actually felt a bit high but I liked the details and I had never seen anything like it before. Also the fact that it's from Switzerland intrigued me. It's in good condition although it needs a bit of cleaning (dot key doesn't return all the way) and the ribbon system tends to have excess slack, although it works ok when typing. It's a nice machine to type with, the board has large rubber feet and overall the machine has firm feel.

Now that it turned out to be more interesting than all the generic Japanese portables, it'll certainly stay in my collection. Even if I were to sell it, there are not that much interest towards typewriters in Finland and our keyboard makes our machines unwanted elsewhere in the world. The typeface would also seem to be the same generic typeface most typewriters in Finland share.

This is my first typewriter that has X before A etc. I have say it feels a bit strange to write since the keys are "out of alignment".

(Just a meaningless note: The plate on the underboard says O.y. Platina A.b. Helsinki Helsingfors. Helsinki is our capital (Helsingfors är samma på svenska (Helsingfors is same in Sweden)) and Oy/Ab means joint-stock company. I haven't been able to find information about a company called Platina, which is probably because it's a horrible name for a company (Platinum). I guess that's another project to find information about for another day.)

24-7-2013 15:03:21  #4

tatte wrote:

I found it from a flea market, I paid nine euros (12 USD) for it, it actually felt a bit high

I'd be more than happy to find any typewriter at that price - and over the moon if it turned out to be something as interesting as the one you found.

tatte wrote:

Now that it turned out to be more interesting than all the generic Japanese portables, it'll certainly stay in my collection.

Too bad... I want it!  Actually, it's wise of you to want to keep it.

tatte wrote:

Even if I were to sell it, there are not that much interest towards typewriters in Finland and our keyboard makes our machines unwanted elsewhere in the world.

Not true. Many of us collectors love to buy typewriters with keyboards that are unusual to us. A typical keyboard in Finland would be a novelty here in Canada. I recently bought a typewriter from Valiant (another member here) only because it had an Arabic keyboard and typeset. I'll never be able to use the Kovac machine for anything, unless of course I learn to speak Arabic some day, but it's a fascinating machine and it's been fun to play with because it types right to left. يتم كتابة أي شيء

Something I just read stated that the Patria turned into the more commonly known brand Swissa, and that the Max Bill model that you found was for a short while manufactured as the Swissa Piccola. Of course I'd love to find one of those too.

Thanks for taking more photos. I hope you don't mind, but I created links to them here so others could look at them in the same thread.

=13px 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-7-2013 15:58:13  #5

You should consider having your next vacation here in Finland. I haven't seen a portable typewriter in a flea market with a price tag higher than ten euros (13 USD). On the other hand I haven't seen any desktop typewriters at flea markets at all... but who knows, I have only raided a limited number of flea markets in just three cities, and I have left more typewriters at the markets than I have brought home.

Right now I know a place that has probably about ten typewriters if not more and they're priced by their case size... smaller ones cost six euros and larger ones ten euros. Last time I didn't have much to check the typewriters but there was at least two neat portable Olympias. I'm excited to go back sometime next week. Especially because I got a job for the last weeks before school continues so I may dare to buy something. At least I could take some pictures and share the wonder of gold mine with all of you in the forum.

Just for fun, I checked what it would cost to send a typewriter sized packet into Canada and best price I could find was 62,5 euros (85 CAD). It's a shame it's that costly, although understandable too.

// Arabic typewriter sounds cool. I wish I get to see one someday. Another a bit more special (from my point of view at least) typewriter I'm dying to get my hands on is a typewriter with fractur typeface... but for that I probably have to seek from abroad and it'll surely end up being expensive.

Last edited by tatte (24-7-2013 16:13:53)

24-7-2013 16:10:08  #6

tatte wrote:

You should consider having your next vacation here in Finland.

I would love to visit Finland... but only in the summer. I hate our winters enough, and I don't think that I would survive one of yours.

tatte wrote:

I haven't seen a portable typewriter in a flea market with a price tag higher than ten euros (13 USD).

tatte wrote:

At least I could take some pictures and share the wonder of gold mine with all of you in the forum.

That's a great idea! With such cheap prices you should be buying and selling them (see below).

tatte wrote:

Just for fun, I checked what it would cost to send a typewriter sized packet into Canada and best price I could find was 62,5 euros (85 CAD). It's a shame it's that costly, although understandable too.

It is a shame. I've bought many typewriters from European sellers, mostly from Germany, and the normal postage rate that I have to pay for a larger portable is 49 EUR, which isn't cheap, but is still worth it if I can buy the machine for next to nothing and it's a model that is very difficult to get in Canada.

Depending on what you have to sell, I'm sure some buyers over here in North America would be willing to pay 63 EUR for shipping.

26-7-2013 07:46:45  #7

Most of the typewriters in my "gold mine" turned out to have plastic bodies, of which I'm not interested. There also was a bit of traffic so I barely even dared to check all the cases. However there was a few more interesting typewriters.

I'm not really consider buying either one, the Halda looks fancy but it's not the kind of desktop typewriter I'm looking for, and neither is the Remington on the left. They're still both good looking machines (if you look past their current condition) so if someone knows something about them just by looking at them, I'd really like to hear. The Remington is really a shame, I'd get 20% discount so it'd only cost 36 euros (48 USD) but I'll rather keep looking for a Remington desktop model. Besides, I didn't see a case for the Remington, I'm pretty sure they have thrown it away. 

Third metal bodied typewriter was an Olympia Monica, however it's paint looked ruined (like someone left it in sunshine for ages, or a smoker had licked it for years, or it was simply the ugliest colour I have ever seen). Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of it.

26-7-2013 07:57:41  #8

For reasons far beyond my comprehension, we have a LOT of Halda typewriters here in Australia. I don't know why such a brand such as Halda would show up here. 

The major American brands and the English and some European brands, like Olympia and Olivetti, are pretty easily explained. But Halda seems rather obscure. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

26-7-2013 08:50:21  #9

Maybe people found out that heavy, sturdy Halda's are effective when thrown at any animal or other creature that try to attack the writer, and once the attacker is killed the writer can just pick up the typewriter and continue typing. :D

(I'm sorry if you find jokes about your wildlife untasteful. It's just.. up here we have no poisonous spiders and only one even barely poisonous snake.)

Board footera