You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-8-2013 07:57:14  #1

Left shift key for 1948 Remington Rand Noiseless No. 7 Portable

As the subject line implies, I need a single key for this machine, which otherwise seems to be in good shape. I would also consider a parts machine if someone has one for sale.

12-8-2013 16:50:48  #2

Re: Left shift key for 1948 Remington Rand Noiseless No. 7 Portable

I don't know if this will help you or not, but there is more than a slight possibility that the keytop from another model of Remington from the same era will fit and look identical.  Are you looking for a black plastic keytop ? Could you post a picture (or a link to one) so that everyone can see what your keyboard looks like ?  You might get a better response that way !

12-8-2013 19:14:07  #3

Thanks, typewriterman! It is indeed a black plastic keycap, and posting a photo is great advice (that I will observe next time). However, I must now sheepishly confess that, having posted about this, I took a closer look into the nooks of the portable's bulky black carrying case -- and there was the missing keycap, camoflaged against the inky blackness within! So it turns out I'm not missing a keycap after all . . . and I have a terrific little machine to spruce up. Thanks, and sorry to have wasted everyone's time! (This is, though, a wonderful and friendly board, and I'm glad to have found it!)

Cheers,
Stewart

12-8-2013 21:49:14  #4

Nevermind Stewart, that's great news! You can always post a few photos of your now complete machine in the Portables sub-forum. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-8-2013 16:07:22  #5

When you put the keytop back, cut a narrow slip of writing paper the width of the keylever.  Fold it in the middle so that it looks like a staple.  Push the errant keytop over it until it bottoms.  Trim the surplus paper 'shim' off under the keyboard with a sharp blade.  This will stop the loose keytop coming off again, but will make it removeable in the future if necessary.  It's far better than gluing it back on !

Board footera