You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-10-2015 17:44:02  #1

FS: Olivetti Lettera 22 portable typewriter with case

Olivetti Lettera 22 portable typewriter with case.  Beige color with blue case.  Made in Italy.  Serial number 450 445 (possibly 1950s).  Purchased used and refurbished in 1967 in New York (with an instruction card for the Lettera 32 included).  The Typewriter case measures 4 inches high, 12 inches wide, and 14 inches deep. Typewriter and case weigh about 12.5 pounds.  Valued for its light weight, exceptionally light touch and comfortable keyboard (with round keys). 
The typewriter is in reasonably good condition, with some paint loss at the front corners, and the platen is in very good condition.  The machine types well, and the carriage return bell sounds. There is a lever to switch colors when using a multicolored ribbon. 
The case is in fair but fully functional condition. The exterior shows some light soil, but is free of any tears or damage. One of the interior pockets has a one-inch tear down one side.   The felt-like interior lining is discolored, and there is no additional interior pad under the typewriter.  It nevertheless served its purpose during a student year in Europe and for years thereafter. 
It has lain dormant in the closet for 30 years, so it ought to be cleaned.  I am considering having it restored at a nearby shop.  I would like to get $60 to $100 for the typewriter, beyond shipping and repair costs.  (It is probably worth more than that, judging from e-Bay listings.)  Pickup in the Chicago northern suburbs is possible.

28-10-2015 19:13:17  #2

Re: FS: Olivetti Lettera 22 portable typewriter with case

Just wondering, does it have any family value? If it does, I would personally get it restored at a local repair shop and use it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

15-1-2016 20:11:59  #3

This is a very good machine. I agree with TypewriterGuy: you should consider keeping it.
I'm about to buy one, but need the Italian layout.

Typography lover and book sniffer. I make and enjoy simple things.

16-1-2016 23:12:34  #4

Thanks for the comments.  I did get the Olivetti serviced, and with a new ribbon it types very well.  I'll keep it for a while, but I'm still looking for a good home for it.

Board footera