You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-9-2013 16:40:32  #1

What a deal!

Anybody up for a $2,000 Oliver? Act fast, at this price it's sure to be gone soon...

http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art-collectibles-1912-Oliver-Standard-Visible-Writer-W0QQAdIdZ527356185

26-9-2013 17:26:16  #2

Re: What a deal!

Don't forget the 2,500 dollar Corona for sale which I found. Used in World War Eleven. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

26-9-2013 21:29:11  #3

Foljambe wrote:

Anybody up for a $2,000 Oliver? Act fast, at this price it's sure to be gone soon...

And he's from your town too. Think how much you can save on shipping by picking it up yourself. There's a similar Oliver for sale in Toronto right now, but it's only $500.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-9-2013 07:21:11  #4

I wrote to the seller and politely said that the price was "optimistic".

I got this reply:

"Hi I actually put it on for my dad and he said he brought it to the traveling antique road show and the lady told him not to let it go for anything less then $3500
It is still in working condition."

Clearly, someone at Antiques Road Show should lose her job.

Coincidentally, I just picked up a nearly identical machine at an auction for $75:

30-9-2013 22:01:29  #5

For three grand, I could afford to outfit an entire office-building with typewriters. Unless that thing belonged to Mark Twain and he signed it or something...Christ! 

Hell, there's a sucker born every minute, as they say. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera