You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-10-2013 07:01:44  #1

Help needed to choose the right machine.

I have a friend who lives abroad and I want to send a portable for Christmas, but she has joint problems in her wrists and fingers.  I would like experience or opinions about which machine may be best to send; looking for the lightest and easiest typing action that can be had.  She would love to have a TW, but has never owned one.

I was thinking of a Hermes Baby, but I don't really know; there may well be better.

Any thoughts and help appreciated.

Last edited by beak (19-10-2013 07:03:39)

Sincerely,
beak.

19-10-2013 14:21:02  #2

Re: Help needed to choose the right machine.

You might want to consider an Olympia Traveller or Splendid 66.  They have a nice light action, and a keyboard touch control that actually works and makes a real difference to the keyboard 'feel'.

19-10-2013 20:20:32  #3

Have you considered one of those old Royal portables from the 20s-40s/50s? The ones with touch-control levers on them? 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

20-10-2013 05:01:24  #4

Thanks both.  I shall investigate all of these.

More suggestions still most welcome.

Sincerely,
beak.

20-10-2013 22:07:03  #5

Recommending a specific typewriter is one thing, but finding it might be another. I have an example of every SF-based Olympia model, which was suggested above. They are fantastic machines but I wouldn't describe their action as being particularly light. A far lighter machine - both in feel and shipping weight - would be a Consul 232. It's a fantasticly easy machine to type with, but it will also be considerably more difficult to find than an Olympia SF.

Another consideration, and one that is commonly available, would be an Olivetti Lettera. Either a 22, 31, or 32 should fit the bill.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera