You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-11-2013 10:42:45  #1

A gem from the glory days of typing.

Here's a fun find that turned up during my endless trolling of the obscure past. This is a page from Nautilus 1941, the yearbook of Greenville High School in South Carolina. Clearly, typing was cool in 1941, with good ol' Sammy Turrentine and the rest of the typing gang.

The girls are rockin the Underwoods:

There was a girl in this high school named Mildred Clinkscales, and I'm very disappointed that she wasn't in the typing club. A name worthy of a Pynchon novel.

I just noticed that there are actually TWO typing clubs on this page. This is amazing. Greenville High School had rival typing gangs in 1941!

Last edited by Foljambe (01-11-2013 10:45:02)

01-11-2013 12:45:51  #2

Re: A gem from the glory days of typing.

That's very cool!

Although typing was hardly a novelty by 1941 in terms of typewriter history, I would assume that the machines were somewhat revered as computer tablets and smartphones are today. It's a good thing that even the smallest portable isn't practical to use while on the move or just as now, the great masses would have been walking, driving and eating in restaurants while typing.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera