You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2014 11:14:44  #11

Re: Any Selectric repair people?

Defectx11,
I haven't been active in this group lately, but there is an enormous amount of service information available for Selectrics. You probably want to join the yahoo golfballtypewritershop group for detailed advice. Complete Service literature can be found here: http://www.box.com/s/ztmk5unahcxoxiy33hzt

There is also a Audio/Video training series there about theory and repair if you have time to watch it.

Clark

Clark

29-8-2015 18:02:56  #12

I'm an ex IBM Tech. I'm afraid your problem is a lot more difficult than a newbie can handle. The metal wires are called Rotate and Tilt tapes. Ever try to thread a needle with chopsticks. If you can then you can replace the broken tape. If not, you'll need a pro. Join the free Yahoo Group "golfballtypewritershop" and download their free Selectric Parts/Adjustment manual. Also the maintenance manual. You can get parts(for your particular problems) from Coleman Mfg. The group is pretty laid back and mostly made up of Ex IBM Servicemen always willing to help. Also the things that got wrapped around the cycle clutch and OP Shaft are called transport cords. You can also order replacements from Coleman Mfg. according to your platen lenth. 11",13", or 15".

Last edited by exibmce (29-8-2015 18:09:47)

15-3-2016 17:03:31  #13

I've replaced rotate and tilt tapes on these babies, and, yes, it's like threading a needle with chopsticks.  A selectric is a very finicky machine.  And if you think that's bad, try repairing one of IBM's composer machines.  They're basically a proportional spacing version of a selectric, and those are M-O-N-S-T-E-R-S.  I have only owned two.  I keep the last one around just to play around with, because this thing acts up everytime I try to type a letter with it.  It's a mechanical wonder of the world, but a nightmare for anyone to have to fix.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera