You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-10-2013 01:32:44  #1

Underwood 18; a mini-review

Appollogies for basic pictures; travelling at the moment without good camera.  I can reshoot later if anyone requires.

Last edited by beak (27-10-2013 01:38:30)

Sincerely,
beak.

27-10-2013 21:19:25  #2

Re: Underwood 18; a mini-review

I've never seen anything like that before on an Olivetti. They actually look like they're home made (they don't appear to be identical in their dimensions, which indicates they weren't mass produced). My guess is that they were intened to hold something specific in place that the previous owner typed on a lot.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-10-2013 23:12:23  #3

My guess is some sort of template-holder. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

20-11-2013 03:21:57  #4

Update:

Having used this machine exclusively every day for many weeks (I'm away from home and this is the only TW with me) I can say that it is better than I expected.  It has never missed a beat, there has never been a glitch of any kind, and apart from a slight mushiness to the action,I can find nothing against it.

I also discovered another interesting feature; when the carriage return is folded into the closed position, it automatically prevents the platten from turning.  However, rolling the platten by hand causes the return lever to spring out into the ready position.  A nice touch.

Sincerely,
beak.

20-11-2013 12:35:22  #5

beak wrote:

I also discovered another interesting feature; when the carriage return is folded into the closed position, it automatically prevents the platten from turning.  However, rolling the platten by hand causes the return lever to spring out into the ready position.  A nice touch.

That is interesting. I was going to try that out on my various Olivetti portables until I realised that none were equipped with the same line space lever as is fitted to your machine. I'll have to check the one Underwood badged Olivetti that I have later; it's buried somewhere in the garage and will take a little bit of work to find.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera