You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-12-2013 16:40:29  #1

Need some help please with a Remington Travel Riter Deluxe

hello everyone

This is my first post here and I am new to owning a typewriter!

Yesterday I bought a Remington Travel Riter Deluxe, it looks like this one here:

However there are some small differences to mine,

The carriage lock switch (which I was trying to find from the info in that post) is actually on the front bottom right, just below the Deluxe badge. Mine also has a colour selection switch just to the right of the L key, other than that, my typewriter looks the same as the one in the photos above.
(this is how I found this forum, by searching for information about my typewriter btw)

You can probably tell by now I know very little about this machine, but am hoping to learn more and be able to use it.

My problem however, is that I cannot get the paper to feed into the typewriter!
I "assume" the lever to the top right, in the first photo there, is what locks and unlocks the paper feeding into the typewriter? The paper simply will not feed in at all, can anyone offer some advice please?

That little lever does not appear to do anything,
Turning the rollers on ether side the paper just does not feed into the machine at all.

Or am I missing something?

I am hoping my typewriter isn't broken!?!?

thank you

Jessica

11-12-2013 16:41:14  #2

Re: Need some help please with a Remington Travel Riter Deluxe

it seems I have to make atleast 2 posts before I can post a link,

this is the typewriter I am looking at:

11-12-2013 16:42:16  #3

11-12-2013 17:40:23  #4

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to Typewriter Talk!

Could you try to describe what is happening when you try to load a sheet of paper? The process is very simple, you just need to drop a sheet in behind the platen (roller) and turn one of the platen knobs until the sheet appears at the front of the machine. The lever on the right side of the platen can be pulled toward you after the sheet is loaded and is there to allow you to straighten the paper. You can't load a sheet if it's alreay pulled toward you.

In other words: The paper release lever should be pushed forward (toward the back of the typewriter) in order to load a sheet of paper.

If you can't load a sheet the way I described then there might be an issue with the feed rollers, but a description of what you're experiencing will help to narrow the problem down to something specific.

Here's my Remington Monarch-1, which should be nearly identical to your typewriter:

And from the right side of the carriage:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-12-2013 19:13:52  #5

Hi Uwe

thank you for responding, okay, I've taken some photos, so we are all on the same page, so to speak ;)

now the lever on the top right that you describe, that dosen't seem to do anything, if it is forwards or backwards
the lever over on the top left, if that is moved towards the back of the machine.....turn the rollers...rollers make a smooth sound, but don't move the paper

if this same lever is moved forwards the roller makes a click click click sound but still doesn't move the paper at all turning the rollers.

The paper isn't being gripped at all, it just seems to drop in as far as it will go but the rollers, or whatever is supposed to grip onto it, that isn't happening at all, you can just pull the paper straight back out again.

Last edited by JessicaHayes (11-12-2013 19:17:00)

11-12-2013 20:16:24  #6

The lever on the left disengages the platen gear to allow you to free spin the platen and make adjustments to the paper position. By your description it is working properly.

However, it sounds like your paper release lever isn't. If the paper isn't gripping there are a number of possibilities. It could be that the paper release mechanism is jammed open, the feed rollers are worn out, or even missing (I once bought a machine that didn't have any feed rollers - it happens). The feed rollers are underneath the platen and act to grip the paper so it can be rolled forward.

When you manipulate the paper release lever do you feel any tension, or is the lever just limp and will loosely flop forward and back? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-12-2013 20:25:07  #7

Uwe wrote:

When you manipulate the paper release lever do you feel any tension, or is the lever just limp and will loosely flop forward and back? 

doesn’t appear to be any tension there, its not really loose but can be jiggled around without any sort of effect on what's happening with the machine.

Thank you so much for responding.

11-12-2013 22:12:48  #8

In that case it's more likely an issue with the paper release mechanism as opposed to missing feed rollers. If you gently turn the machine upside down and look on the underside of the carriage where the paper release lever is, you should see a shaft with running along its length. At the end there should also be a barrel with two set-screws sticking out of it. Make sure those screws are tight.

I can't at the moment, but I could post a few photos of this area tomorrow (Thursday -4:00 GMT) if this doesn't make sense to you. And if that isn't the issue I'll have to take a closer look at the carriage on my machine to see what else could be wrong. It wouldn't hurt if you posted a photo of the underside of you carriage too.

11-12-2013 22:57:46  #9

thank you again Uwe, do you mean where I have drawn the blue arrow?

the only loose screws I have found under the machine are in the middle, top of that photo, on that plate part, where the, serial number is,

12-12-2013 01:14:09  #10

Yes, a closer look where your arrow is pointing would be good. At the same time you could try moving the paper release lever while following the linkage that is hopefully connected to it; you might just find the problem that way.

Board footera