You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-8-2013 11:19:38  #1

Platen not advancing

When I move the return arm on my Royal KMM, the pawl cranks the gear on the line spacer but it doesn't advance the platen itself. I just moved and this now happens. Anyone know how to fix?

Last edited by Aerosedanman (16-8-2013 11:20:17)

16-8-2013 15:59:08  #2

Re: Platen not advancing

Are you saying that the ratchet turns, but the platen remains still ?  If so, is the freehead stuck in the 'on' position ?  Could be worth playing around with the freehead relese button to see if it is stuck !

17-8-2013 00:18:48  #3

Yep the ratchet turns when you move the lever and the metal collar with the measurements on it spins it just doesn't rotate the platen. What is the freehead release button? Sorry I am not familiar with all of the terminology. If it is the button on the left knob then it appears not to be doing anything.

17-8-2013 01:23:18  #4

Have you recently replaced the platen? It may be that the screws holding the platen to the carriage are not tight enough. This would cause it to spin/slip when you operate the return-lever. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

17-8-2013 11:18:09  #5

No it is the original platen, The carriage itself is not rotating either just the sprocket.

17-8-2013 15:44:40  #6

Fixed! It looks like the metal gear type thing on the platen which engages the tab is actually spring loaded. Mine is gummed up so there wasn't any pressure pushing it onto the tab. All I had to do was take the platen out pull the gear out till it fully extended then put the platen back in and voila it engages as normal.

17-8-2013 15:46:14  #7

Oh just by the by. Am I right in referring to the platen as the whole cylinder or is that term just for the rubber on the cylinder?

17-8-2013 21:32:23  #8

The platen is the cylinder/drum which rides on the carriage. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

14-12-2013 06:29:36  #9

More than likely it is the platen clutch has failed and needs to be replaced. This was a very common problem on Royal typewriters. I have a few of them but you need to tell me the spacing. and also you need to be able to remove the clutch. The platen comes out very easily  so you can see what you need to do

01-10-2017 12:52:26  #10

I am having the same problem with my 1940 Royal KMM: the ratchet turns when you move the lever and the metal collar with the measurements on it spins, it just doesn't rotate the platen.  I believe that my free head is stuck in the on position.  It doesn't seam like pushing the button on the cylinder knob is moving anything.  I removed the cylinder knob with the rod and spring and everything seems okay there.

I thought about removing the knob and rod and spraying PB Blaster towards the tongue washer on the platten.  The machine was quite dirty when I got it from a friend.  Does this sound like a good idea?  Any other suggestions?

Before and after pic:

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae187/kng-75/Royal-KMM-before-after.jpg

Thanks for the help!!

Board footera