You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2016 13:24:02  #11

Re: Guess the Film

Congratulations SoucekFan and Beak, you guessed correctly!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2016 17:33:14  #12

I just saw Bridge of Spies, Hanks's latest. Three typewriter shots in there -- one of a Royal FP, another of an IBM Selectric (the first version), and a very brief background shot of something else, an Adler maybe?  It made me wonder whether Spielberg did that as a little nod to Hanks.

Likewise, Mark Rylance, who's up for a supporting actor Oscar for the film, is apparently rarely without a porkpie or fedora, and indeed his character is mostly seen with a hat in the movie. Again, maybe a little inside joke.

01-4-2016 07:45:19  #13

Yes - it's "You've got mail"
"Isn't he the reporter that's obsessed with his typewriter?"
He also has two of them, like all good collectors, just in case there is an issue with the 1st one.

01-6-2016 12:16:32  #14

I'm surprised there's not more Tom Hanks love on this site. 

I mean, he has a sizable typewriter collection, wrote an ode to the typewriter in the New York Times, is writing a book of short stories based on typewriters, created ahighly successful typewriter app... oh, and this...

(Not to be confused with that episode of "Parks and Recreation" where Ron Swanson rescues an old Underwood 5, and hilarity ensues.)

01-6-2016 16:19:28  #15

Well I don't think there's a LACK of Tom Hanks love going on... it's just that we;re busy talking about typewriters. He did appear on Desert Island Discs the other week - a decades-long-running BBC radio show in which the guest chooses eight records to take to their desert island with them, in which the records coincidentally sort of tell their life story. They also get the Bible and the complete Shakespeare, and get to choose an additional book and one luxury. Tom Hanks very wisely chose a Hermes 3000 - excellent choice for a desert island, I thought, as its enclosed body will protect it from the sand...

01-6-2016 16:21:21  #16

Sorry, meant to link this into my post! From all accounts, Hanks is a genuinely lovely guy. And he loves his typewriters, so of course he's nice. 

Board footera