You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-6-2016 12:25:10  #1

WTB - Royal KMM Side Panel

Might anyone have a side panel lying around?

Last edited by Uwe (27-6-2016 17:40:10)

25-6-2016 15:57:32  #2

Re: WTB - Royal KMM Side Panel

If you do not have any luck in finding a replacement panel, it is perfectly possible to make one if you are good at metalwork, or know someone who is.  I recently made one for one of my customers machines and from the outside it looks just like an original.  It isn't too difficult if you use the one from the other side to draw round as a pattern.

27-6-2016 18:56:25  #3

Thank you for your reply. I've no experience with metalwork nor do I know anyone who is. Would you be willing to create one for a fee?

27-6-2016 20:30:50  #4

I might have one lying around. But I need to know where you're located... in the U.S. I hope.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

27-6-2016 23:23:33  #5

Yes indeed. California, USA

28-6-2016 04:03:29  #6

I would be perfectly happy to make you a new side panel, but the best option would be to get a replacement from Treefaller if he has one.  I am located in England, so you would have to send me the panel from the other side as a pattern.  Also, my 'self-made' panel uses a different method of fixing to the typewriter than the original which simply clips into place.  This makes it a bit awward to fit, although once in place it looks just like the original.

28-6-2016 12:48:57  #7

Understood. I happen t have another Royal, the KHH (KMG?); the battleship gray with the tombstone keys - same size side panel, so I could send that if need be. In the meantime, I'll await word from Treefaller

28-6-2016 13:19:01  #8

Okay, here's what I've got in the way of a left side panel from a 1948 Royal KMM. It's a little rusty but it's something that should fit the hole. PM me with your address and I'll look for something to mail it in, if it looks like what you want.

Don't worry about the cost. If you cover the postage that's all I need. I bought this KMM and a 1914 Remington model 10 for $10 for the two of them. They were both so rusty that I couldn't get either one to working shape again. So I'm just glad to have them as parts machines for somebody who can get some use out of the parts.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

28-6-2016 15:35:54  #9

That's awesome! Thanks Treefaller! I'll PM you the information ASAP. If I may, what remedies should I explore concerning the rust that's present? TheTypewriterMan, you've obviously built replacements for these. Have you been able to find a paint that matches?

28-6-2016 16:36:41  #10

Regarding paint.  I was actually able to cheat in a spectacular way.  I happen to have a supply of aluminium offcuts that were originally used to make electronic instrument cases.  The offcuts are about 50 years old !  This material has a crinkly blue plastic coating on one side which closely resembles the crackle finish on you machine.  Once the side panel was made, I simply sprayed the coating with gloss black paint.  It turned out to be a pretty good match, although it did look a bit 'newer' than the rest of the machine.  In your situation, I would look into vintage radio restoration supplies, or classic car (antique automobile) supplies.  I am sure that you can buy an aerosol can of black crackle-finish paint intended for car dashboards or vintage radio cabinets.  The paint is likely to be expensive through, and I think I'm right in saying that the item has to be baked in a domestic oven after spraying to activate the crackle finish.

Board footera