You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-6-2016 12:26:45  #1

I've been making typewriter covers today

These didn't turn out quite like I had envisioned, but they are functional at least.  They are cut to fit each typewriter, and have elastic on the bottom, kind of like a shower cap. Made out of clear vinyl that is about 0.08 mm thick.

I'm not sure if I will make more.

29-6-2016 13:15:15  #2

Re: I've been making typewriter covers today

those look really good! Beats the heck out of the white plastic garbage bags that I pull over the top of mine.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

29-6-2016 14:13:18  #3

I'd been mulling over the idea to have covers made to raise funds to improve the forum for quite a while, but decided there probably wouldn't be enough buyers to justify the effort. Still, it put the seed in my head to make them for myself, but I never thought of going the clear plastic route (I was thinking more along the lines of fabric). Clear covers are nice in that you still see the machine. What did you use for the seams? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-6-2016 14:27:16  #4

Just white sewing thread for the seams.  I was thinking of using clear monofilament, but I read it was a beast to sew with, so white it was.

29-6-2016 14:31:00  #5

I'm wondering if thicker plastic would give me more the look I was envisioning.  These are a little wrinklier that I was thinking they would be.  Kind of makes the machines look like they were covered in saran wrap.  I was worried that the thicker plastic would be to hard to turn around corners.  Even with the thin plastic it was tricky.  I'm not much of a seamstress, lol.

29-6-2016 14:32:50  #6

It might be cute to match the thread color to the machine. Now that I think about it.  If the seams are going to show, might as well make them look like they were supposed to.

29-6-2016 15:23:55  #7

Looks great. I would agree that perhaps a thicker plastic would be better?  I have a couple of plastic covers that I ordered from a typewriter seller. I prefer the plastic over the fabric due to being able to see the actual machine. I wish that I had the talent and patience to try this. Nice job!

29-6-2016 15:26:39  #8

I may give the thicker plastic a try.

29-6-2016 17:18:32  #9

I wonder if eliminating the elastic on the bottom edge would work better and would lessen the shrink-wrap look. Every cover that I have hangs loosely over the machine instead of compressing against it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-6-2016 17:27:03  #10

Probably it would. Then I'd have to hem the bottoms.  Hmm. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Board footera