You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-6-2016 17:28:39  #11

Re: I've been making typewriter covers today

Or maybe put bias tape around the bottoms.  That would be cute.

29-6-2016 21:07:19  #12

Very nice indeed! I "need" them for the standard machines I have (some with wider carriages), and trying to find them in the wild is next to impossible.

30-6-2016 00:46:53  #13

If they are made from plastic could you heat weld the seams?

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

01-7-2016 11:35:51  #14

Surely you don't have to hem plastic. 

Those look brilliant. I've had this in my head for aeons, but the sewing machine just stays in its little place. Why won't it just get up and sew me some dust covers??

01-7-2016 14:03:32  #15

No, I wouldn't have to hem the plastic. It's not going to unravel, of course. I just think it would look unfinished, and maybe a little floppy without something on the bottom.

As far as heat welding the seams... I guess I could. I don't have any idea how to do that, especially while holding them in the shape they need to be for the cover.  I only briefly looked online about heat welding vinyl and all I came up with were links talking about how to do it with vinyl flooring. I'll look into it some more.

01-7-2016 14:29:07  #16

Spazmelda wrote:

I just think it would look unfinished, and maybe a little floppy...

I think that's the majority opinion. I happen to have four vinyl covers on my desk at the moment, one is from Olympia, one from Royal, a store-branded cover, and plain generic cover. All four of them have hemmed edges. The bottom was folded over on the Olympia cover and welded while the other three were all stitched, the Royal with an elaborate pattern. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-7-2016 15:32:05  #17

I have obtained various covers for my standard machines, but the problem I have is that my cats like to lay on top of the machine.  This presses the cover down into the ribbon and gets ink all over the cover.  In one case, it is starting to show through the other side.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

02-7-2016 16:16:53  #18

I have been thinking about making my own typewriter covers for years, but I never got up the courage to actually do it.  I have an old treadle Singer sewing machine that was Maw's (It all works--I put it in tune recently).  I was going to get some material, make paper patterns, cut the material around the patterns, straight-pin everything together, and slowly sew it all together.  The trouble is, I'm a lousy seamster--I am not too sure of what I am doing with the sewing machine, except that it was Maw's.  I think I'd have a lousy cover--along with "hole-y" fingers!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

16-11-2016 11:55:59  #19

These are great! I made my first Typewriter cover yesterday its not clear, but i had the perfect fabric laying around.

And now that you dont have to be perfect, you can be good  - John Steinbeck
http://www.theaccidentalscribe.com/

17-11-2016 00:02:15  #20

Awwww!  That un's just simply darlin'.  Just simply darlin'.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera