You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-8-2016 00:48:25  #1

WTB or WTT: Underwood All-Electric or IBM/Electromatic Model 1

Been searching for an Underwood All-Electric for my collection for a long time now. Figured I might as well post something here. They're big, bad-ass, and just monsters of a machine. On the other hand, an early IBM/Electromatic would go very nice with my Selectric.
 Anyways, if you have one, or the other, or both, I'd be willing to shell out a pretty penny (with in reason. I am a collector that holds onto money more than the Monopoly Man) or trade for one of my not very rare, and not very valuable typewriters. They include: 1947 Remington Noiseless1946 SC Clipper1960s SC Galaxie Deluxe1963 Royal Empress1967 Olympia SM-9 Deluxe (cursive) Don't expect many bites, but can't hurt in leaving it out for the world anyways.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

01-9-2016 04:29:32  #2

Re: WTB or WTT: Underwood All-Electric or IBM/Electromatic Model 1

I'd go with the Underwood Electric of 1947 to about 1958.  They are definately will built--many with big GE electric motors.  The IBM Electromatic, on the other hand--impressive-looking and mechanically stalwart they are--but their electricals are borderline fire hazards--especially with that large ceramic resistor in the back.  The impression control is set on this machine by changing the speed of the motor, which is a smaller univeral-type brush motor more accustomed to kitchen mixers and sewing machines.  The lower the speed, the hotter the resistor got.  You do not want to place this typewriter near curtains or on a tablecloth.  If you want to get a really big, monster, Mack Truck of a typewriter--an IBM Model A or B with a 15" carriage and carbon ribbon magazines--either using carbon ribbons or dual ribbons.  These use the improved induction-type motor like the Underwoods use, and the impression is set varying the type bar cams instead of the motor.  Want additional "Badass" factor?  Get an IBM Executive proportional spacing machine.  Now these are typewriters in every sense of the word.  You can type ten little i's (iiiiiiiiii) and ten big Ms (MMMMMMMMMM), and they'll look like this, whereas on a standard spacing typewriters, they take the same space.  This print is "true-type" or proportional spacing.  And an IBM Executive, among other brands, uses this.  You'll really have a machine not only to write home about--but you'll have it to write home about--writing with it.  Two space bars on the front are really "badass" too.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera