You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-8-2016 15:31:17  #11

Re: The future of typewriter repair

I'm fortunate in that there's still an ol'skool shop left in Portland, Oregon. It's called Ace Typewriter in the St. John's area. I've visited the place a couple of times, and Matt has always exceeded my expectations and worth the 4 hour round trip. I don't know of his training, he's been at it since he was 17 working for his dad in the 60's and still has his father's shop. He seems to know the highs and lows of typwriter development, and can give stories of the "trends" that came and went.  I think he goes as far as re-inking the old silk ribbons if you're willing to drop the coin for it.

14-1-2017 00:55:51  #12

Oh, and one other thought:  Though my days of buying typewriters in volume are all but over, I still get the occasional one here and there, but mostly I like telling stories about how I did some of my early repairs, and I also like telling others how to find particular problems for their machines.  That's another reason why I am still in it--to pass on what I know while there's still breath in my lungs and muscle movement in my fingers.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

28-1-2017 00:24:02  #13

Now a thought after the last one:  I too am still learning many things about typewriter.  Lately, thanks to this forum, I know some of the other brands besides the ones I know.  These are foreign-to-the-US-made machines.  I have never seen examples of some of these--but when one makes it down Texas way, I'll be sure that, if it's too expensive to buy, I can look it over a little bit so I can see how it works, and maybe pass on what I learn about it.  I am actually glad there is still new things for me to discover out there.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera