You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-9-2016 13:12:18  #1

Olympia SM9 ribbon

I have given up trying to fix the ribbon vibrator in my Olympia SM9 deluxe.  After I use the shift key for any upper case letters or signs the ribbon just won't drop back to normal. I have to push the vibrator down with my finger to continue typing.  Of course it just stays up after the next shift.
   Fortunately I have several others, but I would really like to use this one. Any last ditch ideas for me

24-9-2016 14:17:54  #2

Re: Olympia SM9 ribbon

If it has already been thoroughly cleaned, you can try putting a small drop of machine oil on each side of the vibrator, on the portion where the vibrator slides, and working it through.

27-9-2016 12:24:40  #3

Thanks !  What surprises is me is that I have tried that and I thought it would work.  At this stage if I have used Remington gun oil as a lubricant and spent countless minutes working it in,, took the ribbon out and blew canned air through it, and even tried, oh so gently to spread the vibrator guides. Still no luck.

28-9-2016 17:51:48  #4

It could be that the ribbon vibrator might for some reason be pulled forward a little bit--like a nonworking ribbon reverse pulling the ribbon taut enough to bend the vibrator a little forward.  What you might do is to set the ribbon control for "RED," and push a type bar near to the top.  Push back on the top or upper part of the ribbon vibrator on both sides, and see if that helps.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

29-9-2016 12:49:26  #5

Thanks again.  I will try it this afternoon.  Maybe this time I will have found the solution.

01-10-2016 00:46:37  #6

Hi Typngon

​Looking at my SM9, there are two springs that work to pull the ribbon vibrator down to home position. The heavier spring is connected between the left spool frame and I believe it's called the universal bar. The other lighter spring is under the machine just next to the right rear foot and is connected between the rear frame rail and the ribbon lift shaft.

The other thing I'd check is make sure all the linkages between the U-bar, ribbon lift shaft, ribbon lift actuator arm (bell crank) and the vibrator itself are moving freely and don't interfere with any part of the frame. Hope this gives you something to work with. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera