You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-10-2016 22:44:21  #1

Desk!

Hi everyone,

Today from a man I bought a metal desk made by the company All-Steel some years ago. The desk features, on one side, not a regular drawer but an apparatus for mounting a typewriter that can be rolled into the body of the desk and stored there for when I'm doing things that don't include typing on a typewriter. 

As you can see in the photo below, the instructions for mounting the typewriter have been ripped in half, and even if they were whole I don't think they would include an indication of just what sort of typewriter would go well on the metal shelf thing. Does anyone know what typewriter models are suited to this? I've looked at my Olivetti 32, and it's definitely not made to be mounted there. My Olympia SM9 has holes in the bottom, but they don't quite seem to line up with the holes in the mounting pad thing. I could be wrong about that.

I have looked for prior answers to similar questions on this board and elsewhere and have not found them--forgive me if I'm asking a question that has been addressed before. And thank you for any help you can offer, everyone,

Rob

13-10-2016 07:54:27  #2

Re: Desk!

My guess is that the desk was not specific for a particular brand or model of TW, but (assuming it's American) I would go for one of the big brands such as Royal and Remington and chose a model of appropriate date to the desk.  Just guessing.  Could we see a shot of the whole desk?

Sincerely,
beak.

13-10-2016 10:24:08  #3

I agree with Beak, not brand/model specific, but as the drawing on the instructions imply, it was most likely meant for a standard typewriter, not the portables that you tried it with. I've seen a number of these desks for sale locally, and although I've never examined one closely, I assumed that the platform the machine sits on remains parallel to the ground when it's pushed back into the desk; is that the case with yours?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2016 12:02:42  #4

This helps, thank you. The typewriter stand/shelf folds down so that it's perpendicular to the ground, or more diagonal. It detaches and swings down, then rolls inside. 

Here's a bad photo of the whole desk.

13-10-2016 12:17:59  #5

Well, then I guess it's pretty important to bolt that typewriter down! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-10-2016 23:19:35  #6

Just my educated guess, mind you, but it looks like just one typewriter--or one make and model of typewriter, has been secured on that metal shelf.  I am not sure looking at the hole pattern--thought it was an Underwood SX-150, but the front holes are way outboard.  I'm not sure by just looking at the hole pattern, but it was an upright typewriter.  Portables don't usually have holes on the bottom for mounting on a desk (though there might be exceptions out there, I haven't seen all the typewriters ever made--even in my 35 years with them).  Anyway, I would suppose that when the desk was purchased new, there were no holes in the shelf--or they were pre-drilled with the worker knowing which typewriter was going to be set there.  There is absolutely nothing whatsoever saying you have to find the exact make and model that was there before.  All you have to do is to decide which typewriter to mount on the desk, study and measure the bolt holes (and be sure you can get a hold of bolts that would be the right size and long enough to do the job of securing the typewriter), and drill them into the shelf.  I am certain there have been desks out there that have had more than ten typewriters and whose shelves look like Swiss cheese from all those darn holes drilled in them.  To find one with only one set is a miracle.  Must have had a very reliable typewriter on that thing.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

17-10-2016 04:52:34  #7

In addition, the machines are sometimes fixed down by saddles ( Ω - shaped steel straps) trapping part of the frame of the typewriter, and held to the desk surface by bolts through it.  This may negate having to drill new holes.

Sincerely,
beak.

17-10-2016 14:05:35  #8

Just a guess, but they might have sold adapter plates for machines where the holes didn't line up right.

19-10-2016 17:18:39  #9

My SWAG (scientific wild-arsed guess) would have it that with the number of those types of desks, and the millions of typewriters out there before the advent of the computer as the dominant office fixture, I would say all of the above methods were variably used.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

30-11-2016 14:26:03  #10

Hello everyone,

This petite desk mounted Underwood Golden Touch Hideaway is the reason I joined this group today. I just picked her up at the Goodwill in Denver, and in researching, have been unable to find a single bit of information regarding the "Hideaway". It appears to be screwed on to the rotating platform. Based on a
oztypewriter.blogspot.com post it looks to be from the late 1950's.

Rob, I couldn't view your pictures, but could this be an option for your desk?

Any information about this model is appreciated. Maybe I'll hit up oztypewriter.

This is my first manual typewriter, and based on what I've read here, I can see that finding, fixing and typing on them could become a consuming addiction. The first hit is free, or relatively inexpensive at Goodwill for $9.99.

Thanks,
Lisa

Last edited by Uwe (30-11-2016 17:27:42)

Board footera