You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-1-2014 09:52:53  #1

Smith Corona grey Corsair typewriter

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out, please. I've seen a mid-grey Smith Corona Corsair typewriter and can't seem to find the same model anywhere else. I'm wondering whether it's a good find or... not! I believe it's early 60s and it has mostly white keys and three red ones. It's definitely a mid-grey rather than a light grey. I've seen others in aqua colour, but not this grey. It's in very good condition. I've looked at what kind of prices other similar models have gone for and it seems to be between £40 and £90.

If anyone knows a lot about Corsairs and in particular, mid-grey colour ones, I'd be really grateful for some info. Tips etc. about Smith Coronas in general would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

26-1-2014 13:39:52  #2

Re: Smith Corona grey Corsair typewriter

Given you quoted prices in Pounds, I assume you're in England? The reason I ask is that your location has a big influence on not only pricing, but also the availabiltiy of certain makes/models. For example, the Smith-Corona Corsair is an extremely common typewriter and a very inexpensive one to buy in North America.

Is this the model/colour of the machine you're asking about?

I've bought and sold Corsairs in the past, but the only one I currently owned is a private label version sold under the Singer brand name. I will admit that the grey colour model is almost never seen, the blue models are far more common, but I would strongly advise you against buying one regardless of the colour. These are not very good typewriters.

The Corsair was built during a time when the most important selling feature was a low price. Smith-Corona was in heavy competition with Brother, which had flooded the market with cheap typewriters to gain market share. The Corsair reflects a machine that was built to a low price point: It types well-enough, but everything on the machine feels flimsy. The feed rollers are one weak point and every Corsair I've owned makes loading a sheet of paper a difficult task. It certainly isn't worth the price range you mentioned, but then again I'm not familiar with pricing in your country and maybe that's what people are actually willing to pay for what is a disappointing typewriter.

I'd be happy to suggest other models that make a better purchase, but it helps to know what your criteria is. Are you looking for a certain size machine (the Corsair is a ultra-portable)? Does colour/style matter? Are you planning on only using it to type one letter a month, or a novel over the next few months? Do you want to keep within a certain price range?

If you want a solid and reliable typewriter, and your mind is set on Smith-Corona, I would suggest looking at the models that pre-date the Corsair. You can't go wrong with either a 5- or 6-series Smith-Corona. They are fantastic machines, albeit slightly larger in size.

It says Singer, but it's actually a Smith-Corona Corsair. It cost me $25, which is roughly all that it's worth.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-1-2014 14:47:00  #3

I couldn't agree more about the SCM Corsair. £90 is a total rip-off.  You could buy a decent Olympia for that !  The Corsair had poor alignment from new, and soft flimsy typebars with a built-in weak point just under the typeface, which could and did break.  To cap it all, the ribbon spool is obsolete !  When I used to work in a small typewriter shop in the 1970's, I always used to tell customers that although I would repair these machines, I would not give any guarantee.  Asked why, I would explain that they would end up with free repairs for life if I did, since one thing after another would fail.  A Smith-Corona representative arrived at the shop one day, hoping to get us to take on an agency.  I ejected him very smartly !   And yet......the earlier machines were quite good if a little lightweight, and the full-size office manual machine that they stopped making in the mid-1960's was a very pleasant machine.

26-1-2014 15:07:35  #4

Uwe,

Thanks so much for all that. Yes I am in England. And yes, it's very similar to the grey one you posted and has the red keys like the Smith Corona dressed as a Singer one! The cost of the one I'm looking at is £25, so about $40, I think.

It wouldn't be getting heavy useage and to be honest, would be partly an aesthetic thing. I collect retro homewares etc. So to be honest, it's partly the look of it I was attracted to (including the colour). Good to know that this grey isn't so common - perhaps it can make up for in (slight) rarity what it lacks in sturdiness?! I had read something about Smith Corona making some very cheap models at some point and now I know this one is one of those. Amazing how the 'retro' label can give something a whole new level of desirability, though.... I think that may contribute to the fact they've been going for upwards of £40 and beyond.

I may have a look around for a pre-Corsair on your advice as well.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

26-1-2014 15:10:40  #5

thetypewriterman,

Thanks very much for your reply. Thanks for sharing your experinces with Smith Coronas - very interesting! How wonderful to have worked ina  typewriter shop as well.

I agree that £90 seems like a lot. I had decided I wouldn't pay over about £40 but now based on your advice and Uwe's advice, that has lowered to £30 ish.

Thanks again.

26-1-2014 16:58:06  #6

There's nothing wrong with buying a typewriter for its aesthetic value; many people buy them just to serve as a accent piece and have little interest in actually using them. However, I think you should be able to buy a machine that not only fits the look that you're after, but is also a nice typewriter to use should the need arise. And I think you should be able to get such a machine for very little money.

If you want to point us toward some specific styling cues, or a certain era of design, I'm sure we could make some very good suggestions. And if colour is a priority, include that information as well. There are many, many options available to you, 90 percent of which would be a better investment than a Corsair.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-2-2014 12:24:08  #7

Uwe wrote:

There's nothing wrong with buying a typewriter for its aesthetic value; many people buy them just to serve as a accent piece and have little interest in actually using them. However, I think you should be able to buy a machine that not only fits the look that you're after, but is also a nice typewriter to use should the need arise. And I think you should be able to get such a machine for very little money.

If you want to point us toward some specific styling cues, or a certain era of design, I'm sure we could make some very good suggestions. And if colour is a priority, include that information as well. There are many, many options available to you, 90 percent of which would be a better investment than a Corsair.

Hi, thanks. Yes, that was my thought, it would be nice to be able to use it too. But it would be light use. Wouldn't pay much for something that would be purely aesthetic.

Thanks so much for the offer of advice re. era and colour. I am particularly interested in mid grey and dark grey ones and I like the teal/dark turquoise colour palette too. As for era, I guess late fifties and sixties - they're the ones I seem to be most interested in. Cream is an appealing colour to me as well but I don't see that many that are aesthetically appealing to me (obviously subjective to some degree). If anything does come to mind, I'd love to know. Thanks again.

Last edited by Isabelle87 (03-2-2014 12:26:14)

04-2-2014 05:42:01  #8

The Royalite family might be a good option for you, Isabelle. They have a nice little design (many designs) and colors ... And they type fairly well.

Board footera