You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-10-2016 08:54:14  #11

Re: Magic Ribbon

beak wrote:

Unless I'm much mistaken, the printing was added post - and it looks like a Photoshop font to me.

You're probably right about that. I wouldn't know about whether it's a Photoshop typeface though.

Anyone else have thoughts about the typewriter? Uwe says prewar Olympia, and I am inclined to agree at this point, but I am not familiar with those.

21-10-2016 11:41:59  #12

colrehogan wrote:

th vibrator is broken on the left side. or is that just the robbon holder? Sorry, it's late.

The actual vibrator looks fine to me, but maybe you're referring to the two posts to the left of it that are a part of the ribbon mechanism?

Fleetwing wrote:

Uwe says prewar Olympia...

Technically it could be a war-time Olympia model as well as those from the '30s were still being produced then.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-10-2016 11:43:57  #13

Nice job, Beak! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-10-2016 14:16:15  #14

Uwe wrote:

colrehogan wrote:

th vibrator is broken on the left side. or is that just the robbon holder? Sorry, it's late.

The actual vibrator looks fine to me, but maybe you're referring to the two posts to the left of it that are a part of the ribbon mechanism?

Yes Uwe, that was what I was referring to.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

21-10-2016 16:29:26  #15

This conversation, right here, is why I come to this board.

21-10-2016 16:43:25  #16

colrehogan wrote:

th vibrator is broken on the left side.  or is that just the robbon holder? Sorry, it's late.

Actually, it's not broken.  There are many typewriters that only have a cardholder (which is what that thing is on the right side of the vibrator, which to me looks like the whole thing's there) on one side.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

21-10-2016 16:49:18  #17

beak wrote:

Unless I'm much mistaken, the printing was added post - and it looks like a Photoshop font to me.

It wouldn't surprise me.  For one thing, you'd have to find a person who is still handy with a manual typewriter (how many still out there?).  And then, loading a ribbon, typing the message, then unloading the ribbon--neatly--without smudging the paper, or taking the paper out, unloading the ribbon, cleaning the whole affair up, then putting the paper back.  A lot of work has to go into this poster, and I can definitely see why they would be using a Photoshop font, or type face.

21-10-2016 16:51:26  #18

RWWGreene wrote:

This conversation, right here, is why I come to this board.

Oh, we really get down to the nuts and bolts of it all.  And then there are crackpots like me who can really take this to a whole new level!!

21-10-2016 21:12:10  #19

TypewriterKing wrote:

colrehogan wrote:

Actually, it's not broken. There are many typewriters that only have a cardholder (which is what that thing is on the right side of the vibrator, which to me looks like the whole thing's there) on one side.

This was resolved in post #14.

21-10-2016 22:44:01  #20

Uwe wrote:

TypewriterKing wrote:

colrehogan wrote:

Actually, it's not broken. There are many typewriters that only have a cardholder (which is what that thing is on the right side of the vibrator, which to me looks like the whole thing's there) on one side.

This was resolved in post #14.

Sorry, but as these threads get long in the tooth, it's hard to observe who said what when.  Pardon my error.

Board footera