You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-11-2016 08:22:08  #11

Re: Keychopper Alerts

His/her reply to me was far less explanatory and very brief: "Sorry for your concern..."

I did a little digging to find out who these terrible people are, and I can only hope that potential customers of theirs read this and take their business elsewhere:

Store name - Candle Company Antiques & Gifts
Location -  3796 Main St., West St. Paul, Manitoba, Canada
Owner(s) - Glenn and Alanna Rossong
Occupation(s) - Keychoppers; destroyers of antique typewriters

It's especially galling that this is being done out of a so-called antique shop. You would think that if anyone would have an appreciation for vintage items it would be the owners of an antique store, but that clearly isn't the case. It's difficult to comprehend that a fine precision instrument such as this Remington could have survived for close to a century - a machine that still has a practical use - only to meet its end at the hands of an antique dealer. I wonder what else they are destroying to make an easier, quicker buck. It's a frustrating situation to say the least, and I have no respect for people who should know and do better.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-11-2016 08:42:25  #12

Many of the 'antique' dealers that I know actively hate antiques, and have no feeling for them whatever.  Some people say that to be a success in your trade you should have no interest in it.  Strange to me, and something of a synthetic success, I'd say.

Sincerely,
beak.

03-11-2016 09:22:33  #13

beak wrote:

Had a reply from this herbert saying that he sells over 50 of these sets of keys every year at 50 USD each.  Anyone believe that?

Yes, I believe that. There is a guy in my neighborhood who often gets to yard sales before I do, takes every typewriter he can find, tells sellers it's for the keys, and sells all over the country. I don't know what price he sells keys for nor whether he sells onsey-twosies or complete sets, probably both ways, but he pays more than I can for the typewriters.

Yes,, it's big bucks and moderately high volume. I can't wait for the market to be flooded with good-looking repros from, say, China.

03-11-2016 09:35:32  #14

I've posted a few alternatives to real keys in the past, but here's a product that I've not seen before that might also dissuade pseudo jewelry makers from using typewriters: Vintaj DecoEmboss Die (available in typewriter lower, upper, and numeral types).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-11-2016 12:43:49  #15

What I received was that shipping costs were too high anyway. Translation: I didn´t listen and I don´t want to consider the ebay international shipping program which effectively halves international shipping costs.

In these cases I like to swear and curse a lot.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

03-11-2016 16:14:23  #16

I've said this before, and I guess I'll say it again.  But I am still looking for a keychopped typewriter that I can re-lever and re-key.  That way, I'll know how possible it is to bring a typewriter like that back from the dead.  I have enough spare parts to be able to outfit most older typewriters.  It would be major surgery in every sense of the word, but when I get such a project, I'll let everyone know just how it came out.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

04-11-2016 13:02:35  #17

Here's yet another one. The auction description even boasts "some rare keys too!" I've sent another one of my messages to the bozo; it might be naive of me to think that even one keychopper can be stopped by making them aware that what they're doing is despicable, but I'm going to keep trying.

Here are the seller's details that we can add to the boycott list.
Store Name: Gwen Delicious Jewelry
Owner: Bonnie A. Doyle

15-11-2016 12:27:28  #18

Just found this sad Underwood 4 on Craigslist. 
"It is in excellent working condition except keys are missing." 
$50. 

15-11-2016 13:28:10  #19

Okay, that's a weird one.

They're selling a key-less Underwood for $50 and claiming that replacement keys can be bought on eBay for $20. Madness. Clearly the seller has no idea what would be involved in repairing that machine with a random set of keys found on eBay. That has to be one of the strangest keychopper-related ads I've ever seen and it begs the question: who chopped the keys from that Underwood if not the person currently selling the typewriter?

16-11-2016 18:37:36  #20

Uwe wrote:

Okay, that's a weird one.

They're selling a key-less Underwood for $50 and claiming that replacement keys can be bought on eBay for $20. Madness. Clearly the seller has no idea what would be involved in repairing that machine with a random set of keys found on eBay. That has to be one of the strangest keychopper-related ads I've ever seen and it begs the question: who chopped the keys from that Underwood if not the person currently selling the typewriter?

Probably the one who threw that typewriter in the dumpster, not knowing just what he had, and then the E-bay seller came along and is now trying to make a fast buck with what he gained in said dumpster-dive.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera