You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-11-2016 17:47:57  #11

Re: Desk!

Newnubie wrote:

Any information about this model is appreciated.

The so-called "Hideaway" looks to be nothing more than a relabeled '58-'59 Underwood Leader, which was at the time the most inexpensive model in Underwood's portable line. "Golden-Touch" isn't a model name, just period jargon that Underwood used to market the machine's type action. Leader models were around for many years, but the badging and case design of your Hideaway variant is very specific to that particular model year. If you provide its serial number we should be able to verify the year of manufacture (the number will probably be in the 3-million range and you be able to find it by pushing the carriage all the way to the left and looking at the exposed section of the machine's frame on the right rear of the machine). 

I assume the video of the Hideaway is of your machine? For a first typewriter you landed a real novelty, so congratulations. I suspect that almost any collector would be happy to add such a variant to their collection and should you ever decide to part with it you should be able to make a nice little profit off of the machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-11-2016 21:33:25  #12

Thanks for your help Uwe. The serial number is H2849461.
Yes, the video is of the actual machine. Thanks for adding it to the post. How can I do that in the future?

30-11-2016 23:28:54  #13

Newnubie wrote:

The serial number is H2849461.

Hmmmm.... looks like I was off by one year: Your serial number indicates that it was made in '57. It really is a great find, and I'm sure that in its day it was a very practical solution for someone like a student living in a dorm who would have been short on space.

Newnubie wrote:

Yes, the video is of the actual machine. How can I do that in the future?

You almost had it right, but for some reason one character in the closing tag was missing. You can click on the "Insert YouTube Video" button when you create the post, or just place the link to the video between these tags: [video]  [/video]

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-12-2016 11:20:22  #14

Perfect. Thanks.

Board footera