You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-11-2016 14:48:12  #1

What does this little knob?

My Kappel Model 2 has a little knob on the right platter movement knob. I can push it to the left, so that it moves closer to the big knob, but can't figure out what it does.

So what is the purpose of this little knob?

27-11-2016 21:15:49  #2

Re: What does this little knob?

Don't have that machine, but a knob in that position is typical for disengaging the line spacer cog so that you can turn the platen freely to align existing text with the machine's printing line - as when you put a sheet back in the typewriter to continue working on it.

Sincerely,
beak.

27-11-2016 23:08:26  #3

The button which allow the platen to rotate freely is usually found on the left on US machines so I thought maybe this has a different function, but when I went back to the original photo at http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=17403#p17403 I notice that the appurtenances I am used to seeing on the left of the carriage are on the right here.

Almost certainly this is the function.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

27-11-2016 23:10:40  #4

But one does wonder why the thing is knurled if the only function is to be pushed in. Aesthetics or two different controls in one knob?

02-12-2016 14:40:08  #5

Well, I found out that when I push the button, I can turn it about 15° counter clockwise. The knob then stays there about 5mm deeper in the machine as before -- and does nothing. It may be a mechanism called "Stechwalze", which should decouple the platen. Since the line feed mechanism is also on the right side, it could be related to such a functionality. But I can't figure out how this would work.

02-12-2016 21:12:54  #6

Rudi wrote:

Well, I found out that when I push the button, I can turn it about 15° counter clockwise. The knob then stays there about 5mm deeper in the machine as before -- and does nothing. It may be a mechanism called "Stechwalze", which should decouple the platen. Since the line feed mechanism is also on the right side, it could be related to such a functionality. But I can't figure out how this would work.

Aha! That would explain why the push button is knurled - you can lock it in place. Those with vaster experience can comment on whether they have seen this variant before. As to how it would work, does the platen stop clicking when you turn it when the button is in? That's about all there is to it. The button usually disengages the line stops or whatever you call them so they hold a new setting, whereas there is often a lever which has a similar function but forces the stops to line up with the previous settings when released.

03-12-2016 23:20:20  #7

Rudi wrote:

Some older L. C. Smiths employ this method--and are even on the right-hand side as well.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

17-12-2016 09:28:13  #8

I was idly fingering the left end of the carriage on a post-war Rheinmetall KsT when I noticed that the button you push in to disengage the platen was also knurled. So I pushed it in a turned it and sure enough it locked. It's unlikely I ever would have discovered this feature had it not been for this thread.

Board footera