You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-12-2016 23:27:09  #31

Re: Dunk Cleaning

Alright, well I'm going to try out the dish soap and water for now. If that doesn't work then I'll move up. And King, don't worry, it'll bake at 130 for an hour, believe me I don't want it rusting either. The thing is so small anyways. Should be fine.

25-12-2016 23:38:21  #32

I don't think this was mentioned, but I believe (from what I read in Ames) they would remove the cover plates and panels before dunking; in addition to the rubber. Also, I think (if applicable) it would be a bad idea to get "glass" keys wet.

26-12-2016 07:31:32  #33

SoucekFan wrote:

I don't think this was mentioned, but I believe (from what I read in Ames) they would remove the cover plates and panels before dunking; in addition to the rubber. Also, I think (if applicable) it would be a bad idea to get "glass" keys wet.

Yup, as said, removed feet and rollers. Only dunking the main part, not the keys. I'm examining t now to see if I can just lift it out of its black "shell". That ways I can dunk it with better chemicals without worrying about paint.

26-12-2016 16:15:32  #34

TyperwriterGuy wrote:

Oh, and how much should I be using? 
Also, I have read comet is safe unless I rub it on the paint because it will scratch??

I've never measured how much I use, I just add enough to the water to change its colour; you can always start off using less and see how effective it is and add more as needed.

The can I have states in big letters that its "scratch free." Regardless, I don't use it to clean painted parts (the main case components are always removed first, but sometimes there are smaller painted areas that aren't worth the trouble of removing that stay on the machine), I just use a number of special brushes that I bought to scrub the mechanical internals. Remember, this method is a general degrease and cleaning of a typewriter's mechanical parts, the rest of the machine I clean using other methods. I also avoid immersing the keys to be safe, and for obvious reasons never those with paper indexes. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-12-2016 18:00:21  #35

Thanks Uwe, I'll keep that info in mind. I just went ahead and took apart my 3 bank instead because the whole body is paint.

11-11-2020 01:19:54  #36

Hello Uwe,

I can not see the files/jpegs you posted to explain dunk cleaning. Seems like their link is broken.
Is there anyway you could post the instructions/jpegs again?

Thank you!

12-11-2020 11:07:04  #37

Emre, I've uploaded the files to another server, so hopefully you can see them now.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera