You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2016 18:37:24  #11

Re: The oddest beast?

Fabric to carbon ribbon changeover: I have a Facit 1820 electric with a dual ribbon system which keeps both ribbons mounted and ready all the time. Changeover is via a four-position lever at the left of the keyboard: Black, Red, Stencil, and Carbon. Changeover is instant and easy. I haven't looked at how the IBMs and Royals do it.

28-12-2016 00:43:40  #12

Yes agreed - punched tape is wrong, now that you point it out.  I assume we are meant to understand that the paper ribbon is being typed on directly by the typist - but how this is 'decoding' I don't know.  Perhaps for the sake of this film, the appearance of decoding was all that was required; mention coded messages,show keyboard machine, show tape, show officer reading it.  It was enough for me, the first time I saw the film, to tell the story.

Sincerely,
beak.

28-12-2016 02:18:31  #13

M. Höhne wrote:

Fabric to carbon ribbon changeover: I have a Facit 1820 electric with a dual ribbon system which keeps both ribbons mounted and ready all the time. Changeover is via a four-position lever ..............

Yes, it is the same for my Hermes Ambassador - you simply flip the ribbon selector to the carbon position and off you go.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera