Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



08-1-2017 15:58:09  #21


Re: English Fossils

There have not been any advancements in the field of humanitarianism - ever. Mankind is just as guided today by avarice and the pernicious quest for power, as when horse whipping was the global equivalent to cranking a car's engine.

And there's nothing remarkable about the Remington connection; many typewriter producers were actually nefarious armaments manufacturers first and foremost, and seemingly hell bent on proving the sword mightier than pen (or typewriter in this case). The long tradition of interloping between government, military, and weapons manufacturing personnel continues to this day; they're all in bed together, even if it isn’t always an incestuous relationship.


"To save time is to lengthen life."
 

08-1-2017 16:29:39  #22


Re: English Fossils

Uwe wrote:

There have not been any advancements in the field of humanitarianism - ever. Mankind is just as guided today by avarice and the pernicious quest for power, as when horse whipping was the global equivalent to cranking a car's engine.

There have been advances in the form of individuals noted from time to time, though progress is disappointingly slow.

And there's nothing remarkable about the Remington connection

I knew you were going to say something like that.

Not every observation is vying for the title of remarkable and the tagline "Believe it or not" is just a common tagline. I was simply musing that the world was a small place and that random facts lead us from fossil language to horses to a horse loving artist to a firearms company and back to typewriters. I suppose the cavalry may have carried Remington rifles at some point also.

I had stumbled across three arms maker / typewriter company connections - the third was Rheinmetall which still produces military vehicles which appear to be targeted to a warlord market and the second escapes me for now but I am sure you know it and more. The first time I got my hands on a Remington #1 portable the firearms connection set off a light bulb in my head like a primer cap: the cunning little poppets, the tiny arms holding on the spools, the odd little lever controls that you had to seek out an instruction manual to understand.

Wait! An amazing product takes shape in my mind! The belt fed typewriter! You thread in a belt of tiny, tiny little cartridges one of which is detonated with each keystroke and plays the role of electric assist without the need for electricity! The smoke and noise is just a little bit annoying to those nearby, though.
 


"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".
     Thread Starter
 

08-1-2017 17:25:28  #23


Re: English Fossils

Yeah!!  We could call it the "Remington Noiseful" typewriter.  But, something semi-related is that they make nail drivers that use charges similar to the ones used in ordinary guns.  Quite handy for driving nails and brads down into concrete with one blow.  I've seen 'em being used.


Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness
 

10-1-2017 09:20:15  #24


Re: English Fossils

Repartee wrote:

Wait! An amazing product takes shape in my mind! The belt fed typewriter! You thread in a belt of tiny, tiny little cartridges one of which is detonated with each keystroke and plays the role of electric assist without the need for electricity! The smoke and noise is just a little bit annoying to those nearby, though.
 

I can't help it. That sounds really fun.

 

10-1-2017 19:47:44  #25


Re: English Fossils

KatLondon wrote:

Repartee wrote:

Wait! An amazing product takes shape in my mind! The belt fed typewriter! You thread in a belt of tiny, tiny little cartridges one of which is detonated with each keystroke and plays the role of electric assist without the need for electricity! The smoke and noise is just a little bit annoying to those nearby, though.
 

I can't help it. That sounds really fun.

Let's go the full Monty then: a second belt of slightly larger cartridges shoots back the carriage return and the content is on punch tape so no typist required! It deafeningly rattles its way through a page and then ejects it in a cloud of smoke. If you could build one of these things it would be a great hit at the Science Museum - demonstrations at 12 and 2, weekends only. 
 


"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".
     Thread Starter
 

11-1-2017 09:32:37  #26


Re: English Fossils

Repartee wrote:

Let's go the full Monty then: a second belt of slightly larger cartridges shoots back the carriage return and the content is on punch tape so no typist required! It deafeningly rattles its way through a page and then ejects it in a cloud of smoke. If you could build one of these things it would be a great hit at the Science Museum - demonstrations at 12 and 2, weekends only. 
 

Most sensible! You need time to rebuild the museum after each demonstration.


TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)
 
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

Typewriter Talk