You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-1-2017 22:18:10  #1

WTB parts for 1950s Rheinmetall KsT . . . or for sale!

I have a cosmetically beautiful KsT which has a broken escapement. The part I am looking for is known as the "loose dog" and catches the star-wheel. If I can't find a replacement, I can sell parts from this machine. Let me know if you are interested!
-Eric

30-1-2017 23:05:08  #2

Re: WTB parts for 1950s Rheinmetall KsT . . . or for sale!

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum. This is an international forum, so in cases of buy & sell items it often helps if you state where you live. You can add your rough location in your profile settings if you like. Someone might be more inclined to want to deal with you if you happen to be local to them as opposed to being on the other side of the world.

Oh, and I hope you don't end up parting the machine because of a part that could be fabricated for you... 👍

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-1-2017 23:14:55  #3

Thanks! I'm in the USA, in NJ at the moment, but regularly travel back and forth to the Washington DC area. I would love to hear about how others have fabricated parts. This is something that probably can't be 3d printed because it has to be hardened steel. I'm even surprised that it broke. Rheinmetall made tanks in WW2 . . . their standards must have slipped.

31-1-2017 01:56:58  #4

echan wrote:

I'm even surprised that it broke. Rheinmetall made tanks in WW2 . . . their standards must have slipped.

Military weapons were, and still are, the company's forte - typewriters were just a sideshow. 💣💥

And automatically assuming a broken part to be a sign of poor quality completely ignores 50-plus years of use - and potential abuse. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-1-2017 02:25:49  #5

Yes, I was joking. The machine apparently does not have a carriage lock, and it came loose from its case during shipping. It was banged around quite a bit, or so the previous owner says. I took it on knowing full well the challenge of repairing it.

01-2-2017 21:31:48  #6

I am curious:  how many of these machine shops are left where you can get parts made either by bringing in the old broken part, or from drawings?  I know there used to be more than there are now.  And I know that mainly, the machine shops I know of, at least locally (here down in Waco, Texas) mostly machine parts for larger machinery such as backhoes and bulldozers--along with stationary factory machinery.  I also wonder just how expensive it would be to have this work done, and how prohibitive it could be.  It would definitely be good to know, as even typewriter junkers are becoming rarer--and this is the main source where I still get parts.  Additionally, there are parts that tend to weaken--a classic is the backspace pawl in an Underwood electric--both the gear and the catchpawl get rounded off over time, and the backspacer doesn't catch anymore.  I've even tried resurfacing the parts and quenching them to harden the outside so it will last a little longer.  Well, anyway, maybe there is somewhere they could make an improved part out of harder metal or something.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-2-2017 17:42:13  #7

I haven't asked at any machine shops, but have been in touch with someone who might be able to recreate the part. I'm willing to be patient to see how it goes. I'll report back to the group if it's successful.
-Eric

02-2-2017 21:26:51  #8

Out of curiosity, what is the condition of the escapement wheel itself?  And is the loose dog broken off at the tip or just worn?  I would say, out of my own ignorance that a Rheinmetall junker could be hard to find, so I am not going to say it.  I will say that anything is possible, and failing to find a junker, you will need to have the part looked at, and hopefully, have another one fabricated.  Good luck.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

05-2-2017 01:04:43  #9

Unfortunately, the tip is entirely broken off, and apparently lost too. I took a look at the nub where it came off and noticed that one edge is sculpted away like a knife, and the other is squared off. Perhaps that is why it was fragile enough to snap off. If I can get another part machined and working, I will post to the group. I've been quote $50, but with the low price of the original machine, I consider it worth it. If it works, that is. 

Board footera