You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-2-2017 10:51:41  #1

Problems with Olympia SF Deluxe

Just got one, and am having trouble figuring out why it types light at times. I suspect a ribbon problem, and have tried a few things: putting the ribbon through the slot near the spool, and not putting it through there. None got results. The machine hasn't been cleaned, and maybe that may have something to do with it, since it's as if the keys weren't striking with enough force. Any suggestions? I am using a 2" ribbon. Also, the light print gets worse when I put on the cover.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

01-2-2017 12:30:26  #2

Re: Problems with Olympia SF Deluxe

You can't really worry about ANYTHING like that that's happening with the machine before it's even been cleaned. You've said that the type bars seem not to be striking with enough force. Just go clean out every slot and joint between keys and segment and keep doing it till they move better. AND behind/under the segment of course. 

What's a 2" ribbon?

01-2-2017 13:21:18  #3

Thanks, KatLondon! It's a 2-inch spool with a half-inch ribbon.

01-2-2017 15:45:26  #4

Kat is right. Fully clean the machine, oil only the parts that should be oiled, and then assess its performance. If the type becomes "light" with the cover on the machine, it's very possible that the spools are dragging and not allowing the ribbon to advance properly. Are they metal or plastic spools? Metal spools can become deformed, so make sure that they are perfectly flat and level; a misshaped spool can cause the intermittent print quality you're complaining about. And make sure the ribbon is correctly threaded through the machine; it was designed to work that way - bypassing certain parts of the ribbon path is never a solution.

Concerning the spools themselves, the SF was designed to use DIN 2103 spools and 13 mm (0.5 in.) ribbon. I believe that the DIN 2103 spec denotes a 54 mm (2.125 in.) spool diameter, so if you're using 2 in. spools now their size (diameter) shouldn't be the issue.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-2-2017 15:48:47  #5

Thanks, Uwe--much appreciated. They are plastic spools with a half-inch ribbon. I will fiddle with it this afternoon and report back.

01-2-2017 20:27:59  #6

Also, if you're still having trouble with things and you've got it all cleaned up and everything, look underneath the machine and check the mechanism to see what it's doing.  There might be a wadded-up piece of paper or something gumming up the works that you didn't see topside.  Also, check for popped or missing springs--that is a common issue as well.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-2-2017 06:34:35  #7

You'd spot these things in the cleaning, of course. One big aspect of the thorough clean is that it's a Get to Know Your Typewriter session. I've had machines where I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, and kept testing, and then all of a sudden did one more thing - discovered an even more out-of-the-way place I hadn't thought to go into (aways being careful of springs and so on) - and hey presto, you can identify the very moment when performance really gets lovely. Anything that even looks like a slot is vital.

Board footera