You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-2-2017 01:52:43  #61

Re: Help Me Build My Closed Collection Of Portables!

Hi all.
After I left this thread I looked around and did see a photo of the underside of the ribbon spool cover on a metal bodied SM9 and lo and behold if I didn't see the very pads you all are talking about!
The machine I refer to is an identical one to mine and my machine IS missing this padding.
I did a little experimenting and found that if I applied something to the top of the spool cover that the ringing noise does go away.
Seeing as there is very little room under the hood for sound reduction devices on the SM9 ( and my son has not even noticed the noise), I'll leave it the way it is. As for the keyboard angle, this is only an issue that comes up when I try to use this machine for "lap typing". This may sound like a strange thing to do but, that is what I like best about the portables I have. It is nice to sit by the woodstove at night and type on something or other and have the machine comfortably in my lap. The SM9 is a good machine for this but, I am not a trained typist and running up and down the relatively steep angle of the keyboard aggravates my carpal tunnel. I can reduce the problem by changing the angle of the keyboard relative to me by propping the end up on something of the correct thickness such as the afore mentioned piece of wood.
When I sit at my desk and type I do adjust the height of the chair to meet my ergonomic needs.
Rather than hijack this thread, perhaps a new one should be started to discuss the various merits and detractors of the machines we are each devoted to ?
I agree that an actual study, with accurate measurements taken and presented to show the way they correlate to a persons comfort / discomfort when using a particular machine, would be very interesting.
Any measurements should be accompanied by an explanation of how it was taken and why the individual feels it is important to them.
Personal machine preferences are strongly encouraged and every effort should be made to try and explain what about the particular machine makes it so enjoyable to use/ not to use.
I leave it to the group at large.
HABD!

04-2-2017 17:14:31  #62

Sounds like you've got this down to a science!   Or, at least you're on your way to getting it down to a science.  But, for my purposes, I have never seen the need, say, to tilt a typewriter slightly backward so as to compensate for a steep angle (which, incidentally, occurs more on manuals than on electrics), or to find the right thickness for a wide board or piece of plywood to sit in one's lap to set a typewriter on.  I can see, the need to raise or lower a chair as to set the most comfortable height.  Right now, with my left arm hurting the way it is, I have to have a typewriter setting slightly lower than it used to because it hurts my arm to raise it too high.  Call it age, call it what you will, but this here cowpoke is feelin' the cold a-comin' down from them thar hills, and it bites pretty hard.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

04-2-2017 18:03:55  #63

Rattle Tap wrote:

As for the keyboard angle, this is only an issue that comes up when I try to use this machine for "lap typing".

Well, that I understand. It's really only ultra-portables that are suitable for that kind of work; most full-size portables are a chore to use for such an ergonomically-challenged typing position - never mind their additional weight.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-2-2017 14:12:10  #64

Another Issue I have is that I don't know how to touch type.
When one is forced to sit at the typewriter with head and eyes down to see the key board instead of being able to look up comfortably at the work being composed or copied from, it sometimes makes for creative solutions .
I'm thinking that my best solution would be to actually learn to type. Some day......
HABD! 

05-2-2017 14:39:45  #65

Rattle Tap wrote:

I'm thinking that my best solution would be to actually learn to type. Some day......
HABD! 

I recommend getting a vintage typing instruction book, such as 20th Century Typewriting, Gregg Typewriting, or one of the numerous others.  You can usually get copies of these for under 10 bucks off of eBay. With practice, touch typing can be learned very quickly, and I found it made a tremendous difference in my enjoyment of the machines. The books also contain a lot of useful information on formatting, and I always enjoy the silly sentences in the short drills.

05-2-2017 17:37:51  #66

Yes, I have been holding out for one of the older type training manuals like they used to have when I was in high school (early 80's) but they don't last for ever.
I had not thought to just look on e bay but, I have a few antique stores around that sometimes have a good selection of old text books. I have yet to see anything on touch typing so far.
I wonder if I found something on u tube for key boarding would that also work for touch typing ?

05-2-2017 21:37:34  #67

I just posted a video today about lap typing.

https://youtu.be/1WJxjDndE4A

~Joe

05-2-2017 21:45:29  #68

Hey Joe!
You and your typing vids are actually what introduced me to lap typing.
Who would'a thunk one could be so comfortable when one falls asleep while typing late into the dark of night...(he,he,he)
I'll go check for your latest.

05-2-2017 23:26:22  #69

Hi Joe:

Love your vids!  

Board footera