You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2014 14:20:23  #1

Quiet, silent or any upgrade making less noises

As you know, one of the things that makes a typewriter so lovable is it's typical "tic-tic-tic-gling" sound, that we make by typing on the the tastes. 
The thing is that not everybody lives in the middle of the countryside with the next neighbours at 5 kilometers, and sometimes, what makes us love the typewriter might make the others... less like it. 

I would like to know if you have any advices or done any "upgrades" on your typewriters (no matter mechanical or electrical/-onical) which lower a bit the sounds (bottom, bases, felt-artefacts...) ? 

Thanka a lot ! 

Last edited by iMe (04-3-2014 14:21:16)

04-3-2014 15:18:50  #2

Re: Quiet, silent or any upgrade making less noises

You might want to read this thread: Sound Deadening

You can also experiment with typing surfaces - use a felt pad underneath the machine and use a typing surface that doesn't reverberate a lot - and sometimes using a few sheets of typing paper at the same time will help to muffle the slug blows a little.

However, in the long run it might be easier and more cost effective to just buy a noiseless/quiet portable model to use on days when noise is an issue. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-3-2014 18:58:03  #3

If the platen is hard the only good way to make it more quiet is to have it recovered.  Generally will cost at least $50. 

The machine itself can be quited by lining it with felt.  Generally the thicker the better, but thick does not fit everyplace.  Some felt has an adhesive back.  Other felt can be sprayed with adhesive and installed or I often use tape with adhesive on both sides.

06-3-2014 04:36:01  #4

A traditional wool felt typewriter mat can make quite a difference to the sound.

06-3-2014 05:33:19  #5

They sell wool-felt in most fabric stores. It's thinner than a commercial mat, so double it. Or, get fancy, like I did, and back it with leather. It keeps your portables from wandering around the desktop, too.

07-3-2014 11:23:37  #6

Thanks to all for your replies and advices ! 
So, apparently, the use of a typewriter also includes some sewing .
At the end, typewriters are multitasks : they multitask yourself...

RWWGreene wrote:

Or, get fancy, like I did, and back it with leather. It keeps your portables from wandering around the desktop, too.

I have to say that I smiled when I got the mental picture of the wandering typewriter. But you have definitely right, and I would have forgotten that felt is sooo slippy on tables. 

Last edited by iMe (07-3-2014 11:24:38)

20-3-2014 17:09:09  #7

Sorry to seem like I'm hijacking this thread, but I was wondering how noisy typewriters should be. I live in a student apartment, and although I have my own bedroom, I share a kitchen and a toilet with two other people, and I really am worried that my typing could wake the whole unit up. :/ (That's how noisy my current Olympia typewriter is to me)

20-3-2014 18:52:12  #8

Typewriters can be loud - for some of us that sound is a feature we like! - however,  there are ways to reduce the sound. One easy step is to make sure you're not typing on a surface that will amplify the noise. If you're worried about disturbing others, do a quick test by typing in your bedroom with the door closed and see if they can hear the typewriter in their bedrooms.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera