You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-2-2017 16:30:29  #1

Typewriter Desk Bolts

This just seemed like the right place to put it, so I'll just ask.

​As some of you know, I got a proper typewriter desk with a hide-a-way compartment for a standard typewriter. Now is the time for me to bolt my Royal 10 to it since house renovations have just been completed. Only problem is, I'm not sure what size bolts to use when attaching the typewriter to the desk. I tried 1/4-20 and 1/4-28, and neither seem to work. Before I make the perilous journey to the accursed hardware store, I'd like to know what are the right bolts for the Royal.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

08-2-2017 17:37:01  #2

Re: Typewriter Desk Bolts

So you're bolting the feet to the desk? What is the size of the bolts that hold the feet in place? (I'm not familiar with the 10, so maybe that's not how the feet are attached.)

08-2-2017 18:30:37  #3

ztyper wrote:

This just seemed like the right place to put it, so I'll just ask.

​As some of you know, I got a proper typewriter desk with a hide-a-way compartment for a standard typewriter. Now is the time for me to bolt my Royal 10 to it since house renovations have just been completed. Only problem is, I'm not sure what size bolts to use when attaching the typewriter to the desk. I tried 1/4-20 and 1/4-28, and neither seem to work. Before I make the perilous journey to the accursed hardware store, I'd like to know what are the right bolts for the Royal.

The bolts may be threaded differently than what is available at the hardware store. This is the case with many of the nuts and bolts on older typewriters.

08-2-2017 18:34:23  #4

Fleetwing wrote:

So you're bolting the feet to the desk? What is the size of the bolts that hold the feet in place? (I'm not familiar with the 10, so maybe that's not how the feet are attached.)

It is not by the feet. There are mounting holes on the bottom of the frame.

09-2-2017 00:37:24  #5

Perhaps I need to clarify: I would like the size of the bolts that people have used to mount typewriters to desks, from people who have these kinds of desks.​ Experience is really what I'm looking for, and I know one or two of you out there have one of these desks, so cough it up

10-2-2017 01:45:23  #6

Gotcha covered, ztyper. I have such a desk with a Royal 10 in it and the bolts I needed turned out to be metric(!) 6 x 1, that is 6mm diameter by 1mm pitch. I forgot the length but your desk might be a different thickness anyway. Takes a 10mm wrench. When I bought the set, the typewriter was loosely, rattley held in with 1/4x20 bolts jammed partway in and that made it hard to start the 6x1 bolts but I got it cleaned out.

See it here.

"Experience is really what I'm looking for..." and ain't it the truth! So many guesses.

Yours,
== M.

10-2-2017 09:41:51  #7

M. Höhne wrote:

I have such a desk with a Royal 10 in it and the bolts I needed turned out to be metric(!) 6 x 1, that is 6mm diameter by 1mm pitch.

Surprise of the day! I would never have guessed that Royal used metric threading for mounting bolt holes. Great info, Michael. I'll have to start checking out those holes on my older Royal standards.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2017 11:23:52  #8

M. Höhne wrote:

that is 6mm diameter by 1mm pitch. 

​Thank you so much! I'll be sure to post pictures of the typewriter in the desk once it is installed in my room.

10-2-2017 14:03:49  #9

I wonder if it is different for every manufacturer?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

16-1-2021 20:02:23  #10

I just came upon this thread while searching and see that it is old but I have a bit to add. 

I am presently working on mounting a Royal 10 as well.  I had some trouble in figuring out what the thread for the mounting hole was as 1/4"-20 (National Course) did not go past about one thread and 1/4"-28 (National Fine) was not available.  Also, using a pitch gauge inside a hole is a challenge.  I found that for my carriage-shifted Model 10, the bolts for the feet thread into the desk mounting holes.  I measured this bolt to be 1/4"-24, which is an obsolete but previously common pitch.  This bolt is available for some specialty applications, such as antique cars and old Harley Davidsons, but this is limited.

I am confident that the original bolt was not metric but am delighted to hear that an M6x1.00 bolt will work as these are common in any hardware store.

Board footera