You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-2-2014 17:29:03  #21

Re: Typewriters in Television and Film

Amelia wrote:

Cartoon Network's "Adventure Time"
Season 5, Episode 20: "Shh!"

Good one! It looks like a Voss to me. 

Actually, maybe not, the carriage is completely different... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-2-2017 18:31:05  #22

Gilmore Girls
Season 7, Episode 12: "To Whom It May Concern"

Luke asks Lorelai to write him a character reference but the words just won't come. She says:

"You know I bet my problem is? The whole writing-by-hand thing. You know I think what would help is if I got my old electric typewriter out. The soothing sound of that irritating buzzing -- that's what would help me."

By using the typewriter, she gets the job done

I'm not very good with electric typewriters so I'm not sure what model this is.

20-2-2017 20:02:40  #23

Nicole wrote:

"The soothing sound of that irritating buzzing..."
I'm not very good with electric typewriters so I'm not sure what model this is.

A "soothing, irritating" sound? A strange bit of dialogue by that show's writer! 

The typewriter is most definitely a 6-series Smith-Corona, but I'd have to do some digging to ID the exact model. Maybe someone else knows offhand?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-2-2017 20:44:16  #24

Uwe wrote:

.... snip ....The typewriter is most definitely a 6-series Smith-Corona, but I'd have to do some digging to ID the exact model. Maybe someone else knows offhand?

Smith-Corona used so many model names on that style that we may never know exactly, but the electric ones are often called a variant of Coronet or Electra. Can we be sure this is electric beyond the character suggesting it is? Some electrics had that manual carriage return lever but all manuals did.

20-2-2017 21:02:03  #25

M. Höhne wrote:

Can we be sure this is electric beyond the character suggesting it is? Some electrics had that manual carriage return lever but all manuals did.

The solid keys and what appears to be a valence surrounding them leads me to believe it actually is an electric model. You have a significant number of 6-series models, so I'd defer to your expertise. I thought that maybe it's colour scheme would narrow down the possible model choices?

20-2-2017 22:48:34  #26

I too, was skeptical at first but, some more visual evidence to suggest this is an electric would be,
the 'plunger' or  'push button' style keys are a dead give away,
as Uwe suggests, the 'valence that surrounds the keys is also clearly visible. When I look at my SC Galaxie 12 from the same apparent angle, I still see the dark contrast of the open space that surrounds the keys sans valence.
The less obvious but, no less notable feature to catch my eye would be the typists impossible hand posture.
I have found it OK for pressing electronic keys but of no use for the longer stroke of the manual key board.
I have a Coronet but it may be newer than this one or just not the same model because mine has a large carriage return button where the Enter key would be found on a computer key board, rather than the return lever as pictured here.

21-2-2017 19:16:02  #27

I actually got the episode details off by one episode, it's Episode 11 and it's called "Santa's Secret Stuff" — sorry about that.

It's definitely electric though. It's hard to find a clip anywhere, but you can hear it whirring away, and she only taps on the keys lightly, Then she switches it off on its right-hand side when she is finished, and the whirring stops.

For anyone with the DVD or Netflix, for reference this is at about 35:45 into the episode.

Board footera